Would you join a coupon train?or would you rather buy the paper?

jddrake26

Asked by jddrake26 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I just use the paper, I don't want to hastle with anything else
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Forgive my ignorance, but what's a coupon train?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Coupon trains are a great way to trade all those coupons you can't use for coupons that you need. The person who starts the train gathers up $100 or more worth of coupons that she isn't going to use, and posts on the forum that she is starting a new train, and needs riders. The members who want to join send her a PM with their name, address, and any "wish list" they might have.
    The leader types up a sheet with all that info, and mails it to the first person on the list. That person takes out whatever coupons she wants, plus any that have expired or are about to, and replaces them with new ones of equal value. Then she mails it to the next person on list. It continues on until it circles back to the leader, and starts over again.
    I have a couple going now that I've had running for months. Some trains are better than others. A good train has members that follow some simple rules:
    1. Don't put in a bunch of coupons nearing
    jddrake26

Comment by jddrake26 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Wishlist trains are my favorite :-)
    Wish Lists. – Once the type of train and coupons are established, each person should put together a “wish list” of their top 10 coupons, or types of coupons, they are looking for. If everyone is looking for the same thing, you will need to share the wealth, but if everyone has different needs, even in the same general category (i.e. Pampers vs. Huggies), it shouldn’t be a problem. The Wish List also allows people to gear their coupon finds and packages to give the best value to each member on the train.

jddrake26

Comment by jddrake26 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thank-you for the explanation. I don't think I'd want to bother with all that. It seems to be a whole lot of investment for limited return. But then, I don't have to buy the paper to get the coupons, they're directly mailed to us each week.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I just use a coupon service. Since I look at the ads online a week in advance, it gives me some time to find the coupons I want- and order them. Sure I spend about $10 a week, but it's cheaper than buying a million papers and the coupons arrive just in time for the sales to hit.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i was in a coupon train before and i like it, until it derailed lol. now i just buy the newspaper.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have never tried a coupon train before. I get the paper and use a few sites on line
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Coupon train. I did a few before (wish list, general, and some other criteria), I but have not been active on the sites in awhile. It was great because sometimes people in different areas get different coupons, so it was away of getting coupons that were not available in my area. I've also used coupon services to buy multiples of really good coupons (free product or almost free). I used to do the whole binder thing with the baseball card sleeves; I really need to get back to that. It's great to see the difference in the total before and after coupons. Thanks for the reminder.
    OneBlessedWife

Answer by OneBlessedWife at 11:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My mom sends me like 500 coupns every month...LOL so I guess that is like a train :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010