I'm I allowed to eat hot dogs at all during pregnancy?

maybe if I heat them to steaming hot?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i heard no, so i asked my doctor, and he said just cook them i eat them alot... and im fine and so is the baby.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• yes you do just have to cook them and its not a good idea to get them from places that keep them in warmers or in water...like at hot dog stands and things because they can make you really sick...bacteria can get out of hand in situations like that. my dad has gotten sick as well as my husband and thats the sickest they have ever been, it was serious food poisoning.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I ate them while I was pregnant with both my kids. I didn't get them from a store or anything, cooked them at home, but we're all fine. Just make sure you cook it thoroughly.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ok- thanks everyone!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The risks with hot dogs are listeria bacteria, as well as the nitrates, which can't be cooked out. While I was pregnant, I CRAVED hot dogs (of course), and we found nitrate-free ones at Trader Joes, and just cooked them well to kill any bacteria. Nitrates are also in lunchmeat (so is listeria), as well as other processed meats.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I have craved so much lunch meat! I wonder why? And its NOT protein because I use a protein supplement so I know I am getting enough.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The problem with both lunch meat and hotdogs is that if a pregnant women becomes infected (food poisoning), then it often results in a miscarriage or still-birth. Lunch meat is ok if it's steaming. I am pregnant with my second and I think that it's just safer to avoid them. It's a sacrifice I am willing to make (lol...I HATE hotdogs) for the health of my baby.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 4:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I craved hot dogs (chili dogs actually) sooo bad when I was pregnant!! But I like mine basically burnt and black, so I know they were cooked enough :) I am fine. My son is perfect :)
    LizlovesCarson

Answer by LizlovesCarson at 4:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I've eaten hot dogs many many times during this pregnancy. I'm not dead nor am I sick from listeria.

Just heat them up and enjoy!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I ate lunch meat and hot dogs when pregnant, hell I ate shellfish AND sushi! And my kids were fine ;)

Dude, I can't even imagine cooking lunch meat before eating it! I wonder how many sandwiches I ate in total too, probably shitloads!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008