If they were to raise taxes...

On fatty foods, would you still buy them? or would you start searching for healthy recipies? do you think restaurants would start selling more healthy foods than fatty ones? what about soda/caffiene? would you still buy them? i know some of you can't go without your caffiene lol (i'm getting there lol)

i already try to buy as healthy as i can, but if fishies and crackers are taxed i'd still get them, they're a couple of things my kids snack on at snack time. sometimes a candy bar will be calling my name at the register (i dispise whoever thought of that "brilliant" idea lol) and i'll get it, but if the taxes are higher, it would make me hesistate and think twice about it.

thoughts?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• unless you buy a substantial amount, the tax wouldn't really impact your bill signifcantly enough to deter most people
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't buy enough junk for it to really make a difference unless the price more than triples. It wouldn't make me not buy anything.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I love the idea or 'sin' tax. As a whole the US pays far less for items then other western countries. I have no problem paying higher taxes on anything I purchase. Cops, teachers and important programs are being cut because we won't pay an extra cent on things we don't really need in the first place. I happily pay more for the items I am going to buy anyway! Hamburgers should not cost less than fresh veggies anyway!
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 12:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I always thought anything that wasn't a necessity could be taxed. So soda could be, cigarettes.....They already tax prepared food...and people still buy it, it doesn't put restaurants out of business, hotels etc...yes, i would still buy all the same foods...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't like the idea of taxing certain things because they are "bad" for you. I'd continue to buy them, I'm a believer that in moderation there aren't too many things that are really that bad for you.

I hate that the government is trying to control what we eat, I don't understand why people can't be responsible for themselves.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I hate that the government is trying to control what we eat, I don't understand why people can't be responsible for themselves.

They tax cigs

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Well, what would be a fatty food and who gets to decide. Is it a good marbled steak? Frozen foods that we know are loaded with fat? Butter? Would they up the cost of a chicken fried steak or fried chicken meal at your favorite restaurant? The whole thing is preposterous.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't understand why people can't be responsible for themselves.

Obviously free will works against may people. 67% of Americans are overweight (many obese). The majority- clearly can not handle the responsibility all on their own,
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

You still would be. Do you feel that way about the tax on other goods?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• we have a grocery store here that ranks food on a scale of 1 to 100 in nutritional value. most fruits and veggies are 100, which i agree with. a steak however is in the low 20's, i think because of the fat content. so like, steph mentioned, would beef be taxed? What about an avocado or nuts?
    honestly, we would not change how we buy our food. we will not have the government tell us what is good for us and what is not.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010