false pos?

Ok so I took three hpt all came back pos. I then went to the doctors and they got a negative and did an internal untra sound and didnt see anything. I am starting have have pain on my left side by my hip. I know cysts are common but can it be why I am getting pos test results? I am going to the doctors tonight to get retested. But I was curious if anyone else had this happen.

NwWhiteAngel

Asked by NwWhiteAngel at 12:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Health

• I have never heard of that. Did you read the tests within the proper time frame? Sometimes if you leave the test out too long, it will show a false positive.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I was always under the impression you can get a false negative, but not a false positive b/c they test for the growth hormone that is only present if you are pregnant. (but I could be wrong) Definitely go back to the docs to make sure you aren't having an ectopic pregnancy!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You need to see a doctor again.

With my first pregnancy I tested positive on 2 home tests. Had a vaginal ultrasound and it showed nothing. It was an ectopic pregnancy. I suffered pains like the ones you describe 24 hours before miscarrying. An ectopic pregnancy can be very dangerous. I'm surprised your doctor didn't consider the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy.

If you do have an ectopic pregnancy you will need to have a surgery done to terminate the pregnancy.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/ectopic-pregnancy-topic-overview

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I guess I should have mentioned that all the test were digital ones because I hate the other kind.
    NwWhiteAngel

Comment by NwWhiteAngel (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Did the doctor do a pee test or a blood test?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Pee test
    NwWhiteAngel

Comment by NwWhiteAngel (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Not sure what the sensitivity difference between the test you used at home and the test in the office. If you're early enough into the pregnancy that it's not showing up on their pee test, it's likely too early to see anything on the ultrasound.

How late are you? If you still haven't started, I'd test again, and/or request a blood test.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010