Would you go and protest if there was an oil leak near your home?

About 15 miles north of my home in southern Michigan there was an oil leak along a major pipeline that leaked over 800,000 gallons of oil into the Kalamazoo River. Would you participate in a protest against the company who owned the pipeline and against the drilling, pumping and the use of crude oil?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So, did they drive their cars to the rally to protest? Did they take a plastic bottle of water to drink? It seems sort of silly to protest a product and use it at the same time.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• PROTEST?? Get in the way and create MORE havoc for the company to deal with in addition to the emergency?... Certainly not !

I WOULD of course do all I could do to help solutions get deployed, help local gov't learn new info on what could be done ... in other words - HELP OUT.

Too often the protests are just spoiled children throwing a tantrum ( and lots of other items). A constructive protest highlights solutions, underscores information, ... and doesn't destroy property.

Come to think of it, that contrast of constructive/destructive is the main difference between conservative (supporting a family at their son's military funeral ... tea parties -Taxed Enough Already ... or in support of the Constitution, such as pro-life, pro-gun, anti-EPA, etc.) rallies

and "liberal" rallies - to be more truthful, most of the protests labelled "liberal" have actually been engineered by Marxist & Progressive thinkers ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't involve myself in a protest, although i would voice my concern to the company or to a media source by writing a letter. You can be arrested when protesting and you wouldn't want anything on your record...
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Before my son was born I had been to many protests. Infact I had while I was pregnant. I am from Mobile and though I live in the midwest now I think that only when the people in power witness the mass protest do they actually see all those they are effecting. Plus there is nothing like a huge like-minded group to really rev you up for a cause or belief!
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 12:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'd certainly talk to my representative in that district. That city's mayor isn't doing his job if they have allowed that to leak for a substantial amount of time. I'd want facts and if I didn't get the info I wanted I'd go to the news. That always gets their attention.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I certainly would. I would want to find out what was being done to correct the problem.
    Jea915

Answer by Jea915 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Not sure, if the company had a history of negligence or wasn't doint what they were supposed to to clean it up..then I would ..other than that...probably not

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't organize a protest but I have and will go to them.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I live about a mile from the Gulf Coast in Florida. Thankfully, our Governor is doing everything he can to ban drilling here, due to the oil leak. If nothing was being done, however, I am not sure if I would join a protest, but I would definatly find a way to do something productive towards a way to ensure there wouldn't be further disasters with the company in charge. I don't know what they are doing up there, but down here there are many volunteer groups to help with cleanup. You may want to volunteer somewhere. Not only can you help, but you can find out more of what is REALLY going on, (what they don't tell you in the news) which could help you form an educated decision on your next move.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No. I don't protest anything. I feel I am more effective at helping DEAL with or do what I can to CORRECT the situation that directly impacts my life, rather than stand around shouting at people, carrying signs, and looking out for the 6 o'clock news truck!!!

In other words, actions speak louder than words.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010