Looking for part time work, question about school jobs

I am not only returning to the working world but to college as well. I was hoping to find a part time job within the school system because for one, it would be nice to have something with a similar schedule to the children. Two, I am going to school for ECE and family studies and it would be nice to get in and start meeting people and "looking around" the system if you will. :) Anyhow, I was looking at the part time classified positions and to my amazement you have to have two years of college to even be an aide on a school bus. Is that normal everywhere? I've had a few teachers tell me that I should put in for an assistant substitute position. While I haven't looked into that yet, I may be out of luck if I'm not even qualified to ride a bus. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• Keep looking around, different types of schools have different rules. Charter and private schools don't have to follow all of the same rules as the public schools. Also check into some daycares of preschool programs- good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You could always see if they need help in the office as an admin. I understand it won't get you the exp. you are looking for but the hours will work
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think you have to have a Bachelors Degree to sub, atleast thats required in CT. You could start in a daycare maybe?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Here is what I have noticed in my area. We have a college that offers a B.S. degree in Elementary and Secondary Education. On average, the college graduates about 80 students from the Elementary program. (Secondary program was just started). That is 80 students who are looking for a job. Just this year, there were 115 teachers laid off from one district and 60 from another district. The school district has temporarily raised the requirements for substitute teachers, parapro's, and other school support type jobs. I know of about 10 people who just graduated in May and have accepted a parapro position with the school system. It's the school districts way of letting them get their foot in the door until the economy improves and they get more funding to hire more teachers. Not sure if it is the same for your area or not, but like the previous person said, you may want to start in a daycare or after school program.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• nothing like job hunting to make a person feel completely worthless : /
    I have noticed lately that even some of the lowest jobs seem to want at least an assoiciates of some kind.
    bleh
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010