How do you keep your pipes flowing?

I'm looking for tips on how to keep my pipes free of clogs and flowing freely.
We have 6 kids, and my parents are moving in next week to stay with us for a few months. I have a clogged toilet probably every 10 days or so. (Thank goodness for closet augers!)

We have 3 toilets, but I'd like to try and keep the clogs away.
Two weeks ago I put rid-x down all the toilet drains.

This week, I poured a cup of bleach into each toilet, let it set- then flushed and I'm about to do the same to the sink drains. (we have 5 sinks in the house to keep flowing)- I'm curious if there is anything else, that will foolproof keep my drains clean and all my pipes flowing clearly.
I really appreciate all the tips!

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Change the toilet paper, and NEVER use flushable wipes. Pouring bleach in the toilet does nothing but kill germs. I also thought rid-x was for septic tanks. To keep your toilets flushing you need to make sure that the main drain is clear of tree roots, etc. Maybe you should consider newer toilets that flush harder with less water. As for your sinks ~ Do the baking soda/vinegar thing, but I cannot stress enough that you need to pour a great deal of super hot water down after to make sure the baking soda is flushed through.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Rid X for the toilet, baking soda and vinegar followed by hot, hot water for the sinks
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I assume you have city sewer? Could there be any problem between your house and the street? Just an idea. It happens all the time in our area. Inferior type of pipes put in when development was built. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Do you have a septic system? If so, when was the last time you had it checked/serviced/maintained?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Switch toilet paper to something that breaks up better.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• With a house that old I am sure the plumbing pipes have narrowed so less can flow through at a time.. If the sinks are doing the same thing I would almost bet the pipes themselves are clogging due to build up.. Plumbing may need to be replaced if it has been replaced; drano might help.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yeah, our house is 110 years old- but we already called the city earlier this year to come out and fix things on their end. It just gets clogged now because all these little tooties that use more TP than they should. LOL (Oh, and the occasional toy thrown down there, lol!!!)
    MamaCarterof5

Comment by MamaCarterof5 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks, yeah we have replaced the pipes in places that were exposed. When we retiled the bathroom downstairs, we took up the entire floor and had new pipes put in there. Some of the thinner pipes were replaced in the basement in December (we bought the house in November.) I know a big part of it is just the large amount of people using the toilets all day long. I wish we had one of those toilets that suck down a golf ball, lol. Thats what we need, haha
    MamaCarterof5

Comment by MamaCarterof5 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Maybe a plumber to snake all the pipes real good. After the pipes are snaked you should be able to keep up with keeping them clean by using the baking soda and vinegar.
    Change the toilet paper you are using and don't put anything but toilet paper down the drain even if it says you can.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• call maintainace once a month to clear them out! LOL I love military housing...:)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010