Is there a groupe of poeple in your church that kiss the ground the pastor walks on?

At my church there is a group of poeple that will be on every board at church and act like they kiss the ground the pastor walks on. If you don't allways see there way or the pators way they make your life at church a downer. How many others out there have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, but we had something *sorta* like it with our last pastor. We had a large church (about 1500 people) that was ripped apart. When he first came to the church, 1/2 the congregation didn't care too much for his style, so they left. Then he got busted stealing money, and when he left, so did 1/2 of the 1/2 left. 300 or so people left the church to "follow" him, even knowing what he had done.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Isn't that sort of thing kind of like worshiping man and not God? I can definitely see your frustration, irritation and heartbreak over something like that. I don't have this problem, or I should say our church doesn't. And I am so thankful we don't. I'll be praying for you and your church.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• That's one reason I stopped going to church =] People worshipped the ground the pastor walked on.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• THE PASTOR ISNT YOUR GOD SO SUM PEOPLE THINK IF THE PASTER THINKS THERE NOT DOING NOTHING BUT BEING HOLY ITS OK. BUT IM HERE TO TELL U GOD KNOWS EVERYTHING U DO WHAT U THINK AND U WILL BE JUGED ON WHAT U DO FOR THE WORK OF THE LORD....
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I wouldn't go to a church that does that cause i worship god not my bishop. my bishop wouldn't allow us to do that cause he knows better. stop going to that church. obviously it's not for you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yes, I know what u r talking about. I hate to say it but there are some in every church. There are times that Satan will use God's people to fool people in the church to believe that if they real close to the Pastor that they will have a straight shoot into heaven. People like that needs a lot of prayer. So just pray for them.
    ReReD

Answer by ReReD at 5:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'd most definitely reconsider whether this is the church for you. My pastor is fully human and will be the first to admit that his sermons are directed to himself first. He's been through so much over the last 3 years (2 battles with cancer) so I do admire him and consider him a spiritual mentor (as do many in the church) but no one worships him. God is our sole King and it's He who deserves all our worship and adoration.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i went to a church that if you didn't agree w everything he did or said u were basically left out.the ones that "sucked up" were the ones that his family would mainly associate w and put into offices such as teaching or worship. yes you need to respect your pastor but too many of us look at him as if he has the power to make everything ok and he is soo holy.hes human. people would say "i must humble myself to be great in Gods eyes" yes but not to humble yourself for your pastor. only God can make you great in his eyes.
    marykaysauer

Answer by marykaysauer at 6:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• A teacher of God, is not God by no means, he doesn't deserve to have his feet kissed. Are those people crazy? The only one who deserves that is God himself, and of course his son. But it is wrong to treat a Pastor like he is God, just like the Pope, I hate it when people do that to him, he is a mere mortal man. I'd find somewhere else to go and learn about Almighty God!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• This is generally the sign of a cult in the makings. I would look for a new church that is truly under Gods leading. A good pastor would not allow a group of people in his church to worship him (the pastor) rather than God since this is against the 1st commandment. I recently left a church that got that way and I can say from experience it only gets worse. Take your God given talents somplace where God can really use you!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2008