Seeing a Urologist

2 months ago my son was treated with UTI, and they want to perform the VCUG which I didn't do cause after 1 weeks of antibiotcs he was fine. He is now a happy boy, at 17 months I have train him to do potty and only wear diapers at night other than that everytime he need to pee he would swat or took my hand and took me to the his potty. Yesterday my pediatric call and want me to bring him to see a Urologist, I ask why and they said that because I refuse to do VCUG. What is the Urologist will do, nothing wrong with him now . Anybody in this case before??? Thank you .

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 1:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I were you, I would find a new ped. Sounds like they are overstepping their boundaries. You are the mother and have every right to decide what kind of medical you are comfortable with your child receiving. I have never heard of a ped making that big of a deal out of a uti. Now if you LO got them all the time that would make sense, but if it was just that one time, then there is something wrong with you ped.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 1:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is unusual for boys to have UTIs, so the pediatriican may just want you to follow up with the urologist to make sure your son doesn't have bladder reflux or a structural issue that caused the UTI in the first place. If he has something physically wrong with him, it's better to try to fix it now while he's young than to risk him getting another infection. Repeated infections could cause other problems.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If he was having a reoccurring problem or something I would understand this. If it was just one time and he is fine...why would you put your kid through that?

I would still refuse unless they had a valid reason!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• sounds to me like your pedi is just trying to milk your insurance. if it was a one time thing i wouldnt have done it either. there is nothing a urologist is going to do if there is no infection or reaccurant infections. its your choice as to the medical care you want to give your child and if you feel it is not warrented then i wouldnt do anything.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2010