What do I do about my 16 month old and her change in sleeping habbits?

My 16 month old has started to wake up at 4:30a.m. and she has also refused to nap in her crib during her normal nap time. Most nights now she throws the biggest fit when it is time to go to bed. She screams and tries desperately to get out of her crib. She does this a nap time as well. She has always done very well with bedtime, sleeping through the night and napping in her crib. I have noticed she is teething; getting several teeth, including premolars, at a time. Do we stick to our guns and let her cry or should we let her nap where she wants, i.e. on the couch or holding her. Or should we call the doctor. HELP!! I'm totally new at this!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 1:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let her nap where she wants and go with the flow she is in. If it is teething that is her issue then I would just ride it out and then settle her back into a routine once she is over it.

I have never had a routine with my son who is now nearly 3 and his sleeping habits have changed a lot and I have just went with the flow of it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Routine helped me... I started to count down about an hour and a half before bedtime 1 hour, 1/2 hour, 15 mins, 10 mins 5 mins and then brush the teeth wash the face, jamas, and story.... It helped immensly... At first I would have to let him cry himself to sleep, but now at 5 it's cake :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There could be something in her room that is upsetting her...especially if she is able to rest/sleep in other places. You could try changing her room around a bit...maybe she is seeing a reflection in a mirror...or doesn't like the look of a shelf...window....something in her line of sight. .......Also consider if there are any recent changes in her diet/medications/or products you are using for her. I recently had this trouble with my 16 mnth old daughter and it turns out...she was on a new medication and she was having reactions to it which were causing her to be uncomfortable (she has food allergies and was on Xyzal for itching...it was supposed to HELP her sleep!!! LOL). Once we figured it out...she is now sleeping comfortably in her own bed (all night)..instead of in with Mom & tossing and turning.
    texasmom010409

Answer by texasmom010409 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010