Is it good parenting to brag about how much your child hits other kids?

There's a couple we know with a two year old and they are always bragging about how she hits other kids. Like they're proud of it. I'm thinking..."So why aren't you teaching her not to hit?" I don't want my kid around someone elses if all they're going to do is be a bully. Hell no! I don't allow my child to be a bully to their kid so you bet I expect the same from them. It's immature.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 2:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• yuck~hitters are so underdeveloped~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• that's so wrong And I guess I am extra sensitive to it because my son is the one being hit or bit or pushed and he won't defend himself at 2-1/2 because we've taught him it is wrong and not nice.. I think its rotten rude and mean to parent a child this way.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sure is! If the parents are Simu Wrestlers,lol :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i wanna teach my daughter to defend herself in case of bullies like that. But i want her to learn to hit when it's necessary. Like if someone tries to grab her or tries to hurt her. How do I distinguish the difference between hitting for the hell of it and hitting to defend yourself?
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No that's not good parenting at all! My 14 month old dd is in a hitting phase and I'm trying everything in my power to get her to stop. I don't feel it's something to be bragging about at all. It breaks my heart more than anything to see my little one get so mean.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i think its wrong too but what do u say or do when ur child keeps getting hit?? n never dose anything back so just keeps getting hit? tell my im wrong but i would tell my daughter to hit that kids back i dnt care how wrong it is but my kid is not gonna keep getting hit just cuz i taugh her to be a better person, thats what i think..there not gonna have us by there side at all times..
    13liz13

Answer by 13liz13 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I can't stand the bully kids!
    I tell my girl that if someone tries hurting her (another kid) then to walk away. If she can't, or they try to stop her to tell them to please let her through and leave her alone. If after that she can't get away, wail on them. The way I see it, she gave them two calm, nice chances to leave her alone. And they still hit her. So they are fair game now, and let me tell you, that 5 year old has a mean right punch (I got in the way of her "karate" once!).
    Now, if it's an adult trying to hurt her or pick her up, she's to scream as loud as she can "stranger! you're not my parent!" and do what ever is necessary to get away, including hitting, punching, poking, scratching, kicking, biting, whatever!

She knows that if she hits first (another kid) she's in MAJOR trouble because that is not tolerated! It's very poor parenting to allow it then brag about it!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Don't know her age, but she has to be old enough to understand about defending herself.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree 13. I would allow my child to defend herself (whether that's hitting back, pushing back or whatever) if she felt she was being threatened by someone or actually getting hurt by them. I would not allow her to just purposely hit someone for the hell of it or for thrills. She would be grounded.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• And by " It's very poor parenting to allow it then brag about it! " I mean the healthy kids who just do it to be mean and know better and don't care. Not the one with developmental problems or babies.
    Just wanted to make that clear!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010