Is this rude or jst the way things are in today's society

So my so called bff of 25 yrs has a daughter that is having a baby...I drop off a gift to my friend to give to her daughter. Actually it was a large box filled with various items that will be nice for the new baby.
10 days have gone by, no email or phone call to tell me she got the gift, maybe opened it, maybe liked the items...
In the past I have given other gifts to young moms, and always get generous because baby stuff is fun to buy. And not one mom has ever said "Thank you"! not even my step daughter will say "Thank you".
I give up on buying gifts, I really do!!
I am only posting this in just for fun because there isn't a "venting" option
Are "Thank You's" a thing of the past?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• unfortunaly thank yous are not as common as before. it is rude i agree but to recieve a thank you unless it is in person is rare. me i expect to get at least a phone call to thank you. alot of people are too busy with their own lives that they forget or just dont care to take the time to send a thank you. and unfortunaly people i find are becoming increasingly rude these days and just about anything.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think there is a trend to not do traditional thank you's. Which is why I help my kids do thank you cards for their birthday gifts and people who attended their party. They need to know how to thank people, and that its important!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think you should expect at least a phone call to thank you. you took time out to shop for these items they should take the time out to thank you.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 2:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No! I'm actually currently working on my thank you notes for my baby shower. I don't feel polite if I don't thank.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• They shouldn't be a thing of the past! I would feel rude if I didn't thank someone for their kindness!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• While I do think that people need to say thank you, you are also "expecting" something in return that should have come from your heart. It is nice to be appreciated but don't give someone a gift just so you will get a thank you. Do it because you want to whether you will get a thank you or not.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i know i still have two thank you notes that i haven't given to my neighbors...and i still have to write one for my aunt.
    with my last birth (twins) gifts came staggered, and there were a few people that didn't get thank you notes from me. i feel very bad about it, and i hope they understand that i am a very busy mother of 5, and work hard to take care of the kids, my husband, my home and our business. the people i forgot to give notes to, i did thank personally, but i still feel very bad about slacking in the note card department!
    I am sure the people are thankful and appreciate your thoughtfulness...but i do think thank you notes are becoming a lost art! did they even text or email a thanks your way?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Some people do and some people don't. It's always nice to get a Thank You though for the generosity.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Unfortunately, as a whole...yes! But I set the example for my little corner of the world by modeling graciousness for gifts either in writing a note, or bringing them a thank you treat or meal (which my children help make), and insist that my children show appreciation as well--with follow-up thank yous in their own handwriting--I help them with the wording, but I have them write/draw, and present the thank you card/note.

Two years ago I brought our new neighbors (live right across the street from us) a basket of homemade muffins as a "welcome to the neighborhood" gift, and it took the woman THREE months to come over and say thank you!! They have two children the same age as our children, and when I brought the muffins over, I told her that her children were more than welcome to come over and use our swingset, pool, or play in our fenced in yard, so they could fix up their home and not worry about the kids. I tried! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• its just plain common courtesy to me to say thank you and send a thank you card when someone gives DS or I a gift BUT a lot of young people don't do that kind of thing. Im 26 and i still do and i will teach my DS to do so.

GillyMarie

Answer by GillyMarie at 2:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010