Would you accept a good paying job that requires you to move (even if hubby won't move)?

I want to put in for a position (a promotion) that will require for me to move. There are no jobs in this area, and the job I have doesn't pay much. My husband and I are always borrowing from overdraft protection. The issue - my husband wants to stay in this awful town because of his job. But I have a chance to get a much better paying job elsewhere in another state. I told him that I will send him money (and that I love him very much), but our need for money is speaking very loudly.

What would you do if you had a chance at a very decent paying job that required you to move to another state, but your husband doesn't want to move?

~Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it would better my life and my children's, yes I would.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i would stick together..how much more would u be making than your dh?
    13liz13

Answer by 13liz13 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That would be a hard decision. I would want to take it too but I'd also hate to leave my DH behind. I would continue to talk to him, see if you could come up with a list of jobs in the new state that are hiring, offer to help him apply, etc. If he sees there's a chance for him to get a job too, he might be more willing to agree.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• How much will there be more after living expenses for you in the other state?

I don't think I could do it. I'd get a second job in the town I lived in first.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• In a heartbeat the kids and I would be gone!!! You betcha!!! I wouldn't send DH money.
    I assumed that you would be taking the kids, right??? Or do you plan on leaving them??? That is where it takes on a different perspective
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 2:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Based on the limited info, I would probably go. I would also be super pissed at dh for not embracing the opportunity to better your lives. Hopefully he will come around because this will cause a huge marital strain.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't. I already did the working in different cities (almost 300 miles apart) thing for 18 months. I have no desire to do it again.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I dont personally have experience with this but my mom and step dad who have been married 11 years have been doing a back and forth thing for majority of those years. My step dad works in California but lives in Arizona. He flys home every weekend unless my mom flys out there. Not only is he gaining VIP status on the airline they get a break from each other :) It can be tough but it works for some people. You have to figure though that you will be needing a place to live if you move which will only add to the expenses you already have... I would weigh out the pros and cons and once you've come to a decision think about a good way to talk it over with the hubby so that it doesn't cause problems in the marriage
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I personally would stay with my husband. I quit my job when he joined the Air Force and had to move. We're struggling a bit financially, but I wouldn't change it. My kids are taken care of, and we have food to eat. I want my family together.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yes I would and I have one that refuses to apply for jobs out of this area.. we live in one of the highest unemployment towns in the county! Well now that we are getting a divorce i am applying for jobs at least an hr away. It won't complicate the custody plan this way . i cannot move out of state at this time. But yeah if it payed more than him you betcha !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010