Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I get a Family Member to move out of my house...seriously, its been to long!

OK, brother has been living with me since Dec. 08!! He moved in with us from CT (we're in TX). We allowed him to move in so that he could get settled in and find a job...etc.. Well, he worked for about 1yr..then, lost his drivers license, and job... and is now collecting unemployment and plays video games all day. We are waiting for his court date...(for his current trouble)...and to find out if he'll get his license back or not. But... enough is enough....We have a fam. of 5.....and he makes 6 in the house and I'm just ready to have OUR lives back...and my living room couch...LOL. He can't drive...and we live out in the country - so, finding work will be difficult until he gets his legal situation dealt with. What would you do...How would you get him out (or am I being mean? (really don't think so, though!)

Answer Question

Asked by texasmom010409 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

Level 6 (121 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Give him a time limit,then if he hasn't moved,pack his stuff up,put it out,and change the locks.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • So he's just living with you and not contributing? How old is he? I'd give him a timeframe in which to find a job and an apartment and stick to it....90 days should be plenty.

    Answer by Syphon at 2:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • tell em you don't allow pets. lol

    Answer by GinNTonic at 2:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • LOL...He's 40!!!!...He does help a lot with minor stuff with my baby...and up keeps the yardwork....dishes at night...and his own laundry, of course. (Not enough, in my opinion). He's one of those guys that has had some pretty bad luck throughout his life (but, certainly some of it is self induced!). He's not a bad guy...just never really matured into adulthood responsibility. I've been waiting to find out the results of his court date to give him a time frame...but his case keeps getting continuence (Frustrating) now, I think I need to make a move regardless.

    Comment by texasmom010409 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Pack his suitcase, set them on the front porch, wave and say "see ya!" If you really want to be nice, offer to drive him to the bus station.

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • No,you are not being unreasonable.If it were me,I would give him a time limit.If he's not out by that time,start eviction proceedings.I'm not sure what the laws are where you live.I would find out.Maybe you don't have to go thru the courts to get him out.That would be easier for you.In Oregon,if a person has been staying with you for 2 weeks or more,they consider that permanent housing,so you've got to go thru the courts to get them out.Find out what your legal options are first.Good luck. : )

    Answer by bvannkissy at 3:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Set a time limit for when he has to be out. Tell him you will help him look for a place to live but that he has used up all his free status at your house. This is what often happens when there is not an "out by" date from the beginning of an arrangement like this. The guest tends to see it as open-ended. In his mind, he has found a home, while you still see him as an unwanted houseguest. I would just pick at date and tell him that will be the end of this arrangement. Who knows? It might even encourage him to get out and find a job?

    Answer by NannyB. at 4:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.