What will be the panalty for Rangel?

A House investigator says the panel handling Rep. Charlie Rangel's ethics case has recommended a reprimand by the full House — but that decision could be months away.

Rep. Gene Green, who's on the subcommittee that investigated the New York Democrat, says that's the recommended penalty for the 20-term New York Democrat. Rangel is facing 13 charges of wrongdoing.

Green, D-Texas, also said Friday that the secret votes on some of those charges haven't been unanimous.

Among the harsher penalties that could have been recommended are censure, a fine or even expulsion from the House.

The case now goes to another bipartisan panel of Rangel's peers. They will try the 80-year-old lawmaker in public this fall if there is no settlement.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I also did not realize he was that old. Under the circumstances. He goes home disgraced and pays what he owes plus fines I think that is satisfactory.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Censure?? You have got to be kidding! That is the same penalty Joe Wilson got and all he did was say "you lie"! I would say this is a wee bit more serious.

I think anyone from any party that does this kind of stuff should be kicked out, lose their pension/benifits and go to jail. This is not the kind of leaders the American people deserve.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A hefty fine and expulsion from the House would be a good start. Maybe some prison time..Then, the ones listed on the link provided (again I suck with making clicky links) could pay the piper too.

http://www.citizensforethics.org/under-investigation
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I personally think he should step down and still face charges on the unpaid taxes. Tax evasion isn't just unethical it's illegal. Wesley Snipes is going to jail, if it's proven Rangel blatantly evaded paying taxes he should too.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 3:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks sweet!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The dude is 80 years old...time to RETIRE, in PRISON, after paying back the back taxes he avoided, fines and penalties, AND losing his government pension and benefits! He should die lonely and penniless! I have zero tolerance for people elected to lead us and then fail at every turn for their own personal gains--and to think he was the CHAIRMAN of the Ethics Committee--now THERE'S some hypocrisy!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• **penalty

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Censure?? You have got to be kidding! That is the same penalty Joe Wilson got and all he did was say "you lie"! I would say this is a wee bit more serious. me too

I think anyone from any party that does this kind of stuff should be kicked out, lose their pension/benifits and go to jail. This is not the kind of leaders the American people deserve. I agree

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• http://www.citizensforethics.org/under-investigation

here ya go.

just click full editor, put the link in then press entre

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Damn, I didn't realize he was 80...looks pretty good for 80

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010