Why do people ask health questions instead of calling a medical professional?

I don't really understand why there are all these questions on here "My DD has a fever of 104, what do I do?" (Just an example, I haven't personally seen that question). If there is something seriously wrong with your child, why the H are you on CM and not calling your pediatrician/family doctor?!

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Sometimes drs can be vauge, its after hours, or sometimes their advice just plain sucks. An example of this is I asked my baby's dr what to do about cradle cap and she's like ,I dunno, try CORTIZONE CREAM . HELLOOOOOOOOOO! That doesn't go all over a baby's head! So I asked on CM and came up with lots of good natural cures. Sometimes people ask too because they are embarrassed. Like, what can I do about hemroids? Not my question by the way lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:21 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• clapping

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is normal for women to appeal to their community for advice and commiseration. That's all they are doing. Like the women who ask if they could be pregnant, it isn't so much that they think we would know, but that they are trying out the idea, seeing what it feels like to ask it. I don't mind the health questions at all, since I realize they are being asked with the idea of getting the idea focused, getting some comfort by letting a worry out, and maybe somebody else with the same problem can respond and help.

Answer by Bmat at 2:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There are a lot of answers to this question, and to just reiterate what some of the moms have said on here:
    No insurance, 9.3% or 6.8 million children in the US do not have any insurance and when your "DD has a temp of 104" and you don't know what to do Dr. Web can point you in the right direction.
    Before the internet a lot of these "simple questions" that some mothers didn't know if they should bother their Dr's about were answered by their own mothers or someone they were close to.
    Also a lot of mothers are scared by bothering their Dr's because the Dr has told them not to call unless it's an emergency but then again doesn't explain what an emergency is...
    I agree there is no stupid question!
    TruthfullyBlunt

Answer by TruthfullyBlunt at 5:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I wonder the same thing.

If myself or any of kids was sick or I was concerned about something, my first thought would be to call their Dr. not to ask on CafeMom.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Most of them have already called and gotten an appointment are just asking to see what to expect.
    I guess.
    I've never done it so I really don't know.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree when it's a serious question and they haven't sought any professional advice at all. Sometimes, if it isn't urgent or you've talked to your doc already but are curious about others' experiences, it's nice to get feed back from other moms. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I avoid those questions because I wonder the same thing! We're moms, not medical professionals!(well I'm sure some moms on here are, but they surely don't come on CM to work! lol)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Maybe they don't know if it's serious enough to need a doctor and want some opinions on what to do.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 2:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Umm....I think it depends on the person's experience with doctors. I don't know how many times I've sat in a doctor's waiting room for 45 mins or longer..and there's plenty of mothers here who've been there done that and give good advice on what to do..especially if the person asking the questions is a first time parent. It could potentially save someone from the hassle of a doctor's visit when all the kid really needed was to be given some tylenol, or just wait till the sickness passes with support and patience. Some questions on here surprise me though, and really I wouldn't waiste my time waiting for a response or snide comments about how you should just go to the doctor. As mom's we know our kids best and just need to learn to trust our instincts about whether or not to go visit the doctor or just get a little advice.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010