Do you have to show an ID to deposit cash into your bank account?

I made a cash deposit for my sister this morning. I had her account number and everything so all I had to do was hand the teller the deposit slip and the cash. However the teller made a big production of me needing to show my DL (I had left it in the car). I was a bit perturbed but I went out and got the ID, however I told her that when I'm at my neighborhood Bank of America I have never been IDd (I make deposits to this account frequently but I am not on the account). She just kind of shrugged off my questions. I was not asking for a balance or anything like that- just a straight deposit.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• nope. that was a little weird. I can see for withdrawls.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No, you should not have to show your ID. We just had a very similar experience and the teller wouldn't listen to reason. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That seems odd....considering you were only making a deposit and not withdrawing any money! I don;t show ID when I make deposits through the drive thru teller at TD Bank--I could be ANYONE, I thought it was common sense that if I'm depositing money into an account, that it must be mine or someone close to me?!?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• no. i'v put money in my moms account several times with no id and no account number. just a name.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Nope. Anyone can put money into your account if thye have the account number.
    They would just not be able to get any information or take money out.
    At least at any bank I have ever banked at.
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That happened to me recently. I had my savings book with me and was depositing a check. i didn't want any cash back and they wanted my id. I thought it was weird. If it wasn't mine were they not going to let my deposit money?
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sounds weird to me too, but maybe they had just had some sort of problem at the bank and were being overly cautious.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've never had to show an id to deposit money. The only time I've ever had to show an id was to withdraw money or cash a check.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just trying to think outside the box- but maybe when they print the receipt it automatically shows the balance? So they would need an ID. I know one of our banks does that.

Another thought- is that it was cash. Was it a large amount? Maybe they just wanted to make sure that the cash wasn't stolen? And if it was- they'd have an ID for the person that deposited it.

Anyway I hope it was just the teller being a turd. But maybe it was something else...
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Chase Bank has started asking for id when depositing cash, and you cannot deposit cash into an account without your name on it - whether you have an id or not. I've read that Chase got in trouble with the Madoff scheme and money laundering charges. So now they're passing it on to us as if we're all terrorists and money laundering rip-off artists. I found this out yesterday and will be looking for a new bank.
    SpotOx

Answer by SpotOx at 5:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2014