Do you have any kids books you don't like, or do you ever change the story as you read it?

I can think of two books we have that I don't like the message it sends. One is a Cars book called "Blue Ramone" and in the story Ramone paints himself blue and promises he will stay blue for a whole week, but he gets bored and sad being blue all week and his friends tell him it's ok if he breaks his promise. I don't like the message it sends, that it's ok not to keep a promise just because it's hard, so sometimes I change the book when I'm reading. There is another book where the characters make a mess, the book is about colors and they track paint all over the house. In the end it says "who will help clean up the mess?" and they all run off. I always say they run off to clean up the mess. Do you ever change books like that? Or do you read them as they are and talk about it? Or just get rid of them?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• if i don't like a book, i just won't read it to them. simple. what will happen when your kid learns to read, goes to read the book and is confused?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I assume they'll ask. Actually last time I was tired and wasn't paying much attention and read the Ramone book the original way, then explained to my son that I usually change it because I think he should keep his promise. In the other book I actually crossed out the part where they run off and wrote in what I want it to say. If my kids get curious about it they'll ask and I'll explain that I don't like the original story and why.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I dont like hop on pop. My daughter is only two so she doesnt care or notice if I change it. The book is just so crazy and all over the place. Especially Mr.Brown. Where did he come from!?

Every once in a while I just make up my own story entirely based on the pictures and words I know my daughter could repeat based on the pictures. Ex: if she sees a dog and a ball in the picture and I say "the dog has a ball." she can repeat that later even though the page really says something complicated.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I like how you are correcting the book. It's cute. And I think it is great that you found the oppurtunity to explain to your child that the ideas the world has arent always right or perfect.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010