When people win prizes on talk shows like Ellen...

When Ellen reads aloud letters from viewers about how they need a new car for whatever reason and they get it...Don't you find that annoying? I'm happy for them, and I'm sure many of us can relate to their pity story...but that's just it. Many of us are in their situation or worse. Why can't I win a brand new crossover or a $10,000 visa gift card? Would you be one of those people? Knowing you're not the only one out there?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Entertainment

• I only feel bad to a point...the winners of these gifts still have to pay taxes on the car or gift and pay for tags/registration and insurance! Having the car might be nice, but it will still cost to maintain it! If I won a car, I'd sell it immediately to have the cash!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It's great that they win big prizes like that. However the part that isn't revealed is they have to pay the taxes on that prize upfront.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• it would be real cool to win a car. but i cant do it on pitty. just a little too proud i guess.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I could certainly use some help. Our budget is tight, we are a one car family because SO's car needs to get fixed so i'm home all day....play the worlds smallest violin lol. But if I worded everything to make it sound like I am in desperate need for help and Ellen is the only person i depend on, I'm sure I could win a car too.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I sure could use some Help. My DH lost his job over 19 mos. ago... He would have been there 25 years. Our married DD's are jobless too. We have so many break downs and issues. My car has many high miles on it and smokes.. I have Breast cancer and can't afford many of my meds. and things for comfort. How I'd Love to Win A car and not have to be a burden. But more so. I'd love to be Well and not go through what I'm going through and be able to take care of myself. I'm Happy for any needy person to win anything! I'm Crying tears of joys for all of them! I couldn't imagine winning anything.. I'd be too overwhelmed and do the "ugly cry". But I'm happy for those that do get their needs met!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yes i forgot about the tax part! same with the extreme home makeover shows. Not every family is lucky enough to get a check that pays off their mortgage
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i'm sorry about everything you're going through angellinda! I hope you win the battle!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2010