Why is my 2 year old starting to act aggressively towards me?

This is a new thing. She is hitting, scratching, grabbing my glasses off of my face, etc, and it's really annoying me. I don't know why she's doing this. I try to teach her to touch nicely, to not touch Mommy's glasses, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I feel disrepected and I feel like my personal rights are being violated.

She also calls me by my first name 80% of the time, and I correct her each time. It's not working!

How do I deal with this? I don't spank, so that is definitely not an option. She doesn't seem to "get" time out either. Thank you in advance.

**I forgot to mention I am am a single mom, and she is an only.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son went through this "aggressive" phase also - I did redirection for months and months - reminders - I would totally ignore the fact she calls you by first name because that's probably the reason she is doing it - she knows it bothers you - my son did this with daddy for a while- kept saying OK HEATH - then my husband would say NO its daddy - then he would say OK HEATH - lol!! She's just learning a new way to deal with emotions and frustrations - we have to show them how to use that properly.. not easy I know - My son loves to put himself in time out too so that doessn't work at our house - he usually gets put in his room with me standing there with the timer - if I leave him alone he throws toys or slams his door and kicks it - I just stand there with the timer and remind him it starts when he stops... its been months and we are still battling it - I am reading up on what else to do though
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• She is learning that there is a world outside herself and that she can influence it. Until you establish that you are Alpha, then she'll try to be the one in charge.

Answer by Bmat at 2:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just ideas..........Dr. Phil's books on discipline are supposedly very good. I withheld our son's favorite thing as discipline, but time out can work. Explain why she is being put there, make the length of time appropriate for her age, and be consistent. Do not talk to her if you have to take her back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before she stays there the first couple of times. Good luck.
    Anonymous