How do you think the way kids play today is different.....

than how you played as a kid?

For me I would have to say that nowadays it seems that you almost have to hyperparent your child and constantly have your eye on them to make sure they are safe from someone that could hurt them. Almost like they can't play on their own like they used to. What are your thoughts?

Heathercurlz

Asked by Heathercurlz at 2:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I was a kid we would get on our bikes and ROAM for MILES!! We were great at just going to the park, alone, and meeting up with other kids, then playing all kinds of pick-up games. We learned to entertain ourselves, with very little money (maybe a dollar for the ice cream truck), and we had fun!

Kids today cannot roam like we did--it's just not as safe--neighbors don;t look out for other people's kids like they used to. As a result, kids lack imagination or "impromptu" plan making. It's really kind of sad.

Fortunately, we live in a development on a cul-de-sac, with a large wooded area behind our property lines that all of the neighborhood kids can all play in and around, and can play basketball and hockey in the street--as well as ride their scooters, bikes, and skates/rollerblades, without having to worry.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Well,we went OUTSIDE,so.....kids today are glued to the tv.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Different for sure. When I was a kid all I wanted to do was be outside...sun,snow,rain..I didnt care. I didn't even have many toys outside but I always mangaged to have so much fun..even by myself. Now, it seems like they just want to sit inside more often and don't have nearly as much of an imagination.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We roamed the neighborhood as a kid. Now, I'm not even comfortable letting my girl go out in the yard by herself. It just seems everything is so much more dangerous.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Things are no less safe today than the used to be. People are just more aware of the dangers now.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I guess I have the only kid that played like I did. He gets to go roam and be out all day. He always went outside and rode his bike and used his imagination. Only now at 14 is he trying to be and inside kid. and it's because he is way more mature and intellectually smarter than the kids where we live and he doesn't have anything in common with them. He spends his days creating websites and learning how to code and program on the computer. He also has a forum and manages it. He also play Playstation3 online. Or he is always reading something educational or entertaining. He read the entire Twilight series and now is reading several books on Buddhism. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Most kids are so used to mom entertaining and enriching every moment of their day that they no longer know how to use their own imaginations or play on their own.

My kids are lucky because I'm raising them free-range.  They play outside all day long (I insist on it).  They go to the park on their own and we have a pool in our yard.  The only difference is they have smaller boundaries than when I was a kid (growing up in a much more dangerous neighborhood).  They are 10, 8, 7 and 4.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2010