Is there shampoo that makes hair dye wash out faster?

I went to get my hair cut and I told her I was gonna dye my hair at home so she washed my hair and said that the shampoo would make the dye last longer. Well...every time I wash my hair a lot of color comes out. I dyed it black and after 2 weeks it already going brown all over, not just the roots. So I am wondering if she lied and her shampoo did just the opposite so that next time I would go there and spend my money to get my hair dyed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Have you had this problem before? Some peoples hair just doesnt hold dye well....or try a better/more expensive dye.
    BTW if you ever want to get rid of a color liquid Tide will work in just a few washes.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't know of any shampoo that she could have used to mess up your color. I don't think there's a conspriracy here......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner can help seal the color in your hair, but nothing the stylist did before you dyed your hair can make it wash out faster.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Most shampoos STRIP hair rather then color protecting it..I did red and bought Paul Mitchel color protector and it turned my hair ORANGE... I have black hair now and use cheap patine shampoo and haven't had any striping going on.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• nothing a stylist did with a shampoo BEFORE you colored your hair AT HOME affected your color-retention. if your hair is super-oily or dirty with products (heavy gels, creamy silicones, etc), it won't color AS WELL when you color it; coloring hair with a little natural oil (scalp) is fine. the problem must lay with either the product or the hair, or possibly the application. but not the shampoo.
    (if anything, a vigorous shampoo before a chemical will cause the scalp to react to the chemical, and will be really uncomfortable during the processing. that's about it.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• black is not a good color for keeping the color in your hair. Use a shampoo for color treated hair ONLY and it is allot more gentle on your color. Use cheap shampoo and you get bad results.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My DH and I both went to this hair stylist and had the same shampoo and the exact same hair dye( L'oreal Feria) which I thought was a good brand, but I've never used it before. Both of us had the same problem. The color just keeps coming out with every wash. Neither of us has had this problem before.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 6:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• no, it's the shampoo you are using now that's doing the stripping.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• a clarifying shampoo will wash color out..

but using a shampoo before a color won't change how long it lasts in your hair. (typically that would be the conditioner that would do that.. brands like pantiene can coat the hair making it harder for the color pigments to penetrate the hair shaft, because some brands have products like wax.. to make it appear healthier and shinier.. really you might as well just dump a candle on your head with products like that).

But yea.. it's probably the product you are using now(as a shampoo) that is stripping the color.. some cheap brands have too much detergent in it, thus strips the hair..

it could also be what you used for color.. using box color can open your cuticle too much and thus at times it doesn't fully close causing a lot of the pigments to wash out with each wash..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• your best bet would be to use a good shampoo and conditioner... like paul brown color treated or joico ..

and to be sure to use a protein treatment before and after coloring to ensure healthy hair (thus less chances of your cuticle remaining open and loosing color).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2010