Is 2 years enough?

BURLINGTON, Vt. – A Vermont man who set up a backyard firing range has been sentenced to two years in prison in the death of a professor who was shot while eating dinner in his own home.

Forty-year-old Joe McCarthy of Essex was sentenced Friday for his role in the 2008 shooting death of St. Michael's College Professor John Reiss. McCarthy had faced as many as 15 years behind bars.

No one knows who fired the shot from the semiautomatic SKS rifle that killed Reiss. But McCarthy set up the shooting range and he invited friends to his house that day to target shoot.

He was convicted earlier this year of a charge of involuntary manslaughter.

In June, another person firing on the range that day was sentenced to 60 days in jail.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 2 years is not enough!!
    Reminds me of the BART cop in Oakland. His sentencing is coming up and they think he'll get just 3-4 years for cold blooded murder. -He claims he thought he had his tazer gun. When his tazer was always on one side and feels different, you handle multiple firings on a tazer, he shot this kid in the point blank in the back with 1 shot, not multiple times as if he really had a tazer. Very sad.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Well, he was shooting on his property but I thought automatics are illegal? I guess it depends on the state?
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Hmm. That's tough. Yes, and no. Is was because of his negligence that someone shot. However, it wasn't intentional. I guess no, I don't think that's long enough.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Bump!

I asked my husband this question too, and he's not sure how to feel about it either.
    LovingSAHMommy

• The BART homicide is absolutely disgusting, and while I haven't followed the trial, I understand the 'cop' involved is also being charged with In.Mans.
    This case...I guess I would have to know more information. How far away was the other gentleman's house, were there any unusual conditions that would make shooting particularly unsafe?
    An SKS is a powerful gun, but pretty commomplace. My BIL has one. Most people who own them are not newcomers to the gun scene. I guess what I really wish I knew was more about the area. If it was a more rural area, where he had plenty of room, he set up his range properly, and it was more of a freak shot, then I would say yes, two years is enough. However, if the range was set up close to the edge of his property, where a reasonable person would think a round could reach a neighboring house, then no, I don't think two years is enough. More like 5, with a long term suspension of his permi
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 5:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A backyard shooting range? Yikes! Crazy . I hope they put him away for at least 20 years and get rid of that range. What a criminally idiotic bum.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I hope they made him get rid of the back yard firing range too.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

•  A man is dead, I think 2 years is not enough. I know it wasn't on purpose, but firing that type of weapon in a populated area was just stupid!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I dont know WHAT would be a fair sentenance though..

sweet-a-kins

• 2 years is not enough!!

That's a whoe OTHER post! lol...He didn't even NEED to TASE him! he wasalready subdued!!!!FACE DOWN on the ground
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2010