how painful is natural birth?

my boyfriend's sister gave birth but she said that she got a needle in her spine and it made it easier. i just want to know which one i should do? I'm pretty scared of needles but if it's that painful i guess i'd have to suck it up.

xtracyxx

Asked by xtracyxx at 2:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I guess it depends on how much pain you can tolerate,and how fast the labor progresses. it can be excruciating!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is painful but bearable, I went without any pain killers but mine were short labor.

Answer by older at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I had no pain medication with my first 2 kids, I didn't think it was too painful. The only thing that hurt was the pitocin.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've had both.. My first one, I had the epidural.. it was GREAT!!! My second one...AHHHH...no epi--hurt so bad!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The contractions are way worse than the pushing and baby coming out (at least for me they were lol.) You'll decide either way when you get into labor and start experiencing the ordeal. Good luck either way!
    knfisch

Answer by knfisch at 2:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• you dont have to see the needle. it is very painful! but it's bearable.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It hurts like a son of a bitch. That being said I had two births without pain meds. and I couldn't be happier. The way I look at it is, it is only a few hours of your life. Think about how many hours you will during your lifetime, so it isn't very long at all. And there are things you can do to keep it from hurting sooo bad.
    Do your research and make an educated choice! Which ever choice that is, just be informed!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It's extremely painful for me, I always get the Epideral. (needle in the back)
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That needle is NOTHING compared to the feeling of a person coming out of you. Most likely you will have an IV in your hand anyway so whats one more needle?
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 2:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I got an epidural at 8 cm dilated. I was holding my baby within 30 minutes of that so It was pretty much a waste, but still Im glad I got it! 30 minutes goes by so slow when youre in pain.

But really it depends on your pain tolerance I guess. Contractions were horrible for me(but i did have petocin). Anyway my friend and her sister have had all theirs without drugs. My friend describes it as an annoying pain.. LOL i wish it was like that for me.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010