Driving tips...PLEASE!?

I am 17 and have my driving permit. I wont get my actualy license until January but my husband said he will buy me a car to practice and test in if I can show improvement in driving his car. The problem is I get very nervous. I get unsure of what to do and jerky in my slowing and speeding up. My turns are very jerky and unsure. I am scared even when there is nothing I could hit.

How can I show confidance and improve? How can I be less nervous all the time?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The more you practice the better you'll get. You need to cut down on the distractions--no cell phones, radio, or talking, while you're concentrating. You need to get a "feel" for how your car handles different conditions. When I was learning to drive, my grandfather and uncle took me to an office park on a weekend when they were closed, and had me practice going around different obstacles in the rain, snow, and at different speeds to see my reaction/braking reflexes, etc. They had me practice backing up in a straight line, parallel parking, three point turns, etc. And they had me follow THEIR directions....is " stop, turn left/right with signals, park, turn lights on/off, wash the windows while driving etc.

They even taught me the basics of car care--pumping gas, checking oil, adding air to the tires, etc. But the time i went for my driving test, I was a pro and very confident! Passed the first time at age 16 1/2!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Practice in an empty parking lot. Somewhere that closes early or has lights. Have someone drive you there and let you drive around. Practice parking, going in circles. There is nothing there and it's so much easier. That's where my dad used to let me drive when I was 13. :-) (we were both bored).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A lot of practice is what you need. Like with any new skill being learned, the more you practice it, the better you get. Anyway to get your permit you have to successfully show you can parallel park without running into garbage cans. That is one of the items on the test you need to be able to do.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• "Anyway to get your permit you have to successfully show you can parallel park without running into garbage cans"

This isn't necessarily true. It depends on where you live.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• BTW: I know "The only way is to practice." but the problem is more my confidance.
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• LoriKeet that is great advice. My father used to take me down to the beach parking lot and have me practice parking especially backing into a spot and other manuvers as well. Since I had a job where he worked he used to have me drive us both to work and home.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010