Why is it everyone always thinks they can raise your child better?

I let my son suck his thumb you don't need to tell me a million times what it is going to do to his teeth. :) Thanks. Question being, how do you respectfully tell people to back off when they are hounding you about little things like that? (its family!)

MeghMirab

Asked by MeghMirab at 2:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's your child, and you have every right to tell others to mind their own business. You don't have to be nice about it. Unless you are endangering your child, how you raise him is nobody's business. I hate people that think their way is the only way. BTW, my 2-1/2 year old sucks her thumb. She'll stop when she's ready, and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have spend time with us. LOL!
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 2:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Im sure some of them have bad habits too, try bringing those up every time :)
    Otherwise, thell them it helps comfort him and he wont do it forever.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 2:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If it was one of those days, I would say being a kid sucking his thumb, just makes him a kid who sucks his thumb, Being a pushy, nosey opinionated advice offerer, just makes you a jackass..
    Armygrl1

Answer by Armygrl1 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I got this a lot with the binky and diapers when my daughter was little. Everytime they would say something I would just smile and say "thanks for the advice but what we're doing is working just fine". After a few too many times I told them to wait until they were done raising their kids to tell me how to raise mine.
    And it won't do anything to his teeth until he's around 3 or 4 I think. So you could tell them that (a dentist told me a while back that binkies and thumbs don't mess with teeth until they are 3 or 4, I don't remember which).
    Or you could just say "back off please!". Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• At 5 months!!?? Your baby is perfectly fine sucking his thumb at 5 months.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• its ur child and u can raise them how u want to! they had their chance now it is ur turn! my mom was doing the same thing it drove me nuts!! i told her that she is my daughter and i will do as i please! its was mean but she got the hint and has kinda stopped! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Errr, i just thought about that, I'm in one of those moods sorry if I offend anyone, It was meant to be funny..
    Armygrl1

Answer by Armygrl1 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I take advice very well, I like it! But over and over and over after I have spoken my peace is another thing! My FIL ripped my 5 month olds fingers out of his mouth in front of my husband and I and kept saying "it's bad for his teeth, give him a pacifier". I yelled at him not too, he took it too far, he laughed and continued to do it. For his son, my husband, he had a pacifier the reason he thinks it's easier is b/c he RIPPED THE PACI OUT OF HIS SONS MOUTH WHILE THEY WERE GOING DOWN THE FREE WAY AND SAID NO MORE BINKY!

Leave my parenting alone. Grrr. I have lovely in -laws but his Dad needs to stop giving us advice!
    MeghMirab

Comment by MeghMirab (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You dont. I have a ton of people like that in my life. I live with my in-laws and if my child is whining I will ignore her. I think that is what is best. My 3 sister in laws will go right by what I am doing and pick her up. I ignore it. It cant hurt her that bad. I just want her to know how it is going to be with me. And she does.

Just smile. Say "well, thanks for sharing your thoughts." and walk away silently disagreeing. If they want to bother him about sucking his thumb then he is going to find them mean and annoying so it doesnt hurt you. I would tell them "I dont have a problem with it but you may tell him you do or take his thumb out when you see him doing it, I cant guarantee he will react well though..."
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• cakright: he does have issues he's an alcoholic and he never got down on the floor and played with his kid. He ran my husband hard all the time... to this day I find out new things about his parenting. He means well, I'm not meaning to cut him down... but we are great parents. By being a great parent I mean, our son is happy/smiling all the time, clothes are clean, food in belly, well taken care of. We love being parents and are very into it... so for someone to come along and just crap on our parade... oh another *vent* he called my son a dumbass and didn't laugh after... like "hey dumbass" he has a DRY SENSE OF HUMOR! I said "excuse me" and proceeded to venture into the bathroom is scream and told my husband if he didn't get on his ass about it I would, he already talked to him... :)

It's hard dealing with in-laws and your chid is what I've learned! Like I said, everyone always thinks their way is best!
    MeghMirab

Comment by MeghMirab (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010