Whats the best way to approach a neighbor about their barking dog that keeps you awake at night..for the past MONTH?

I have put up with it as long as I can...now I HAVE to say something.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 4:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• why don't you just call the police. It is a noise disturbance. Im sure your city has noise ordinances. Why confront a neighbor so things can get ugly? I would pick up the phone and I guarantee you it wouldn't have taken a month to do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Just nicely tell you neighbors that their dog is too noisy. When I was younger and living with my parents, we got all kinds of complaints about our dogs. We just had to keep them inside.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my neighbor came by and told my mother but she told me wrong. i brought the dog in at night but he wanted it in during the day cause he worked all night. eventually i got a notice from the police dept and eventually had to get rid of my dog for fear of fine of up 2500. nothing worked to stop his barking. i would of rather they came to me again about it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Well I just went over there and he said "its not MY dog thats barking" and "well i sleep through anything anyway.." so basically he wouldn't know anyway. He wasn't the nicest...he tried to say it was the other people next door but the dog was barking at me while I was in the driveway and I know it was the same dog...Now do I just call the police if I hear it tonight?
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 6:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had that problem and called the POLICE and let them take care of it. They warned them and it actually helped b/c they got scared! Ahh.. a peaceful night sleep!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would call the police tonight. You tried and he blew you off! Oh well!!
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 7:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Go out and take a video of his darn barking dog and show him that! SEE MISTER! It IS your dog! Barking dogs are reeeeeally annoying. Our neighbors leave their dog out because they want him to be a "watchdog". Meanwhile we live in the country and he barks at every single thing you can imagine. Stupid people.
    Roby13

Answer by Roby13 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If your town has a humane society they may have a division to make complaints....I would try that before the police.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• We have had similar issues in the past. I always ask the neighbor nicely first to control their dog. I've only had to deal with the police once. However, it does work. I see you already talked to your neighbor and he denies it, so, if you want to do it one more time... Try to go over when the dog is barking and talk to him. If he still blows you off, put your local PD on speed dial. ;)
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 10:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• the only problem with that is the dog usually barks after 12 at night so going over there is kinda out of the question because he lives on the street right behind us (but very close) and i have to drive over, at night, because we can't just walk through the other people's property to get to this guys house.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 11:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2008