How do you make a reference sheet?

A job I am applying to is asking me to upload additional documents (references and a cover letter) How do I make a reference sheet? Thanks!

MylifeMylove23

Asked by MylifeMylove23 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• A request for references would be a listing of business and personal associates that can vouch for your character. I would include at least 4 employment references and 3 personal references (people not related to you).
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• How would you do the format of the reference sheet? Would you use the all your info at the top like a resume and then just list references and how you know them and how many years too?
    MylifeMylove23

Comment by MylifeMylove23 (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have 5 references on mine. 2 personal references and the other 3 are professional refereences. At the bottom I add more available upon request, unless you know specifically how many they want. I never go over 1 sheet. Always make sure your refs know they are on there. I write it out like this...
    Jane Do, Behavior Specialist Consultant ~ Name, titles
    Sunny Dreams ~ place of employment
    Address of employment or home address (town and state actually is all I use)
    phone number

And of course, put Personal and Professional References above those specific ones.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Your reference list should include:

The person's first and last name, their title, the company they work for, and the phone number and extension, and the best time to call them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You need your name and address and phone number at the top of the reference sheet to match the rest of your resume. I never put the years I have known them on there. It's always on the application I have had to fill out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yes, this is the first one that has asked me for a seperate sheet for references, others simply were put on the application. Thanks!
    MylifeMylove23

Comment by MylifeMylove23 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You might also want to list the number of years you've known the person and whether they are a friend, co worker or supervisor...

As for a cover letter, I am horrible at writing them, if you look on monster.com or careerbuilder.com they often have tips for writing these letters you can also do a google search for cover letter examples.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks I already have a cover letter just needed the reference sheet
    MylifeMylove23

Comment by MylifeMylove23 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• First of all, be protective of your references! Make sure to speak with them at least once a month. It is ok to let a potential employer know that you will be happy to provide references when an employment offer is imminent; think about it, if you apply for ten jobs a week, how will your references feel about getting ten phone calls (or emails) every week.

Anyway, the structure should be like this:

FirstName LastName

Company

Title

Working relationship, ie: coworker, manager, subordinate, customer, etc.

Phone Number

Email

I do career and job search coaching; let me know if you have any questions at all

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2010