is majicjack worth it?

I currently dont have long distance and live in a fairly remote area. right now i pay about 50 dollars for lan line and internet and really dont want to pay another 80 to 100$ for a cell phone just to have long distance. i was thinking about trying that majic jack and was wondering if any has it or had it and is it a good thing or just hype?

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Shopping

• My sister got it. I don't think the call quality was that good, but that could have been her cordless phone. The problem I saw with it is this... It works by piggybacking your broadband service, if your broadband service is through your phone company, you can't cancel it because you need it to make it work. I gave up long distance service and have $12.00 phone line and $10.00 DSL from At&t. I don't have a cellphone and I get along just fine. For $50/mth for phone service you would think you would have Long Distance...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Oh, yeah, I heard from someone that it really works. I totally forgot about it. Get rid of you land line and get a cell.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• well unfortunaty i have to have lan line to have internet so thats not an option for me.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I LOVE IT! But we are military stationed overseas so its really a money saver for us! Plus now my family can call me too!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It really depends on where you live-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yea i would think paying $50 a month for phone i would have long distance too. the phone company wants to charge an additional $30 for 600 minutes of long distance which is a rip off and at&t doesnt offer long distance here. (already checked into it) before we moved i had phone with unlimited long distance with dsl for $60 a month but of course it was a different company that doesnt offer service here.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have heard too many bad things - hard to get a hold of Customer service etc. - just not for me I guess
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010