Attention all MOMs!! So when i came to daycare yesturday to pick my son up.

He had dry boogers and dry food on the side of he's face. I was so angry, is it that hard to grab a wipe? Do u guys think i over reacted? I asked them hygiene is included in taking good care of a child. You know I feel horrible as it is to leave my son for 8 hours and then to come back to see him all coverd in boogers or food. Is a shame...I didn't bring him today to daycare had to call out and next next i'm taking some vaca days to search for a new daycare. I wish I didnt have to work, bc noone is going to take care of my little ones like i do...

phoenixjuelz

Asked by phoenixjuelz at 3:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been guilty of leaving dried food and occasionally boogers on my own son's face. Sounds like you should look for a smaller daycare.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• To me, that would have been an over reaction, but I think that you are more guilty because you have to work. If he has a runny nose, then those booger's are going get everywhere and I suppose I can rationalize the food thing (I mean you gotta know what's reasonable and what's not obviously) if my son eats mac and cheese, I can wipe and wipe and I STILL manage to find it later on his face! Same thing with other foods too....

Good luck finding a new care provider!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That is very sad! I would call and take to management and complain. That is wrong you pay for child care so children are going to be taken care of.. I would have been upset about it and would wonder what else goes on. GL with findign a new place
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 3:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• First, call your current day care because if you just up and leave w your son w out proper notification, the center can charge you for it. Also, if this is a new thing (maybe a new staff member who's a little lazy), try discussing the incident w the manager so you can avoid the hassle of searching while keeping your son somewhere he's already familiar w. If the manager has issue, then your answer is right there to leave, but most legit places will agree to fix any problem you may have w them.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 3:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• is this his first day or something? if not, has it happened before? you just up and took him out for that one little thing? seriously? not everyone is perfect! sometimes it gets crazy in a daycare and the teachers miss something, just like i miss something sometimes having 2 kids. the correct way to do it should be to speak with the teacher about it, tell them how you feel about it, not just saying "how hard is it to grab a wipe?" and besides, some places policy is they can't use a wipe on their kids faces, they have to use a sink. we had a mom who was like that with diapers. we'd change that kids diaper and she'd wet herself right before her momma walked in the door and she'd freak, thinking we never changed her butt all day. we finally would just change her as soon as we saw her pull up, dry or not.

if this is a repeated offense then yes, i'd be as upset as you, and would look for another place.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I understand perfectly what u guys are saying, I sometimes miss some spots myself, I'm not perfect. But when I questioned the girl she told me that she just had got there and that he was worse. That when she picked him up from hes nap that he was covered in food. She also added that theyve complaned about the girl that is in there now and the director brushes it off, bc i guess it's a friend of hers. This is not the first time and I talked to someof the girls and they always say something negative. I've just seen too many red flags. And i think its time to move to a different center. And yes, I do feel so guilty leaving my son. And i want to see that hes being taken care of, I just imagine what goes on behind closed doors and hes nose wasnt runnning unless he was crying and thats why the dry boogers, but come on they can grab a wipe...
    phoenixjuelz

Comment by phoenixjuelz (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• From A Momma that's had a kid in daycare since he was 4 months old-- If that was the only thing wrong with the daycare, I'd say you over reacted. I had one put ORAL medication up my 6 month olds NOSE and I didnt even realize it until they had been doing it twice a day for 3 days!

But if you're not happy with the level of care there, then you're not happy, and I wish you luck finiding a better match for childcare!!
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think it was an over reaction but really, can you really over react when it comes to the safety of your child... I have the same working guilt you do so I tend to over react on a daily basis so that would have thrown me a bit too - but there are SO many things to consider when ti comes to finding someone to care for your child and I have had the hardest time with the trust factor so if I completely trusted this provider and knew she loved my child like her own and she's great in every other aspect - then I would think of it as an off day, maybe mention something to her if you are than upset and move on - my mom also thought you weren't supposed to suck the boogers out and hates when I pick at my son's boogers - she always tells me to let them dry up and fall out on their own - so it could be just what SHE does for her kids.. not in a neglectful manor
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Totally~kids should be washing their hands and face with teachers help before eating. I get mad when my kids hands aren't clean when he is eating~
    It kinda shows a lack or routine or program flow. How hard would it be to call the director and talk about getting your child ready to go home and about keeping his skin free of food and snot (I would have even wiped the dog's face). "It worries me you are not seeing my child if he is left in that condition"

And it might show too many kids, teachers not washing their own hands....I love to tell the director or even the person the nonverbal signs of their care~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I feel what ur saying like I said I'm not perfect either, but this aint the first time and if they can't use a wipe then like you said you said use the sink. nobody would want to walk around with dry boogers in their face or food. So why let food on a little child that can't do it and needs help with everything. I have two kids and it gets crazy in my house two put two second to clean them wouldnt hurt anyone. Maybe i did overeact but i want nothing but the best for my kids. And he's 7 months, I have to care and overeact....I can imagine if their not clean with my son, how clean are they with the center?
    phoenixjuelz

Comment by phoenixjuelz (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010