How do you get a person to understand that you don't always get what you want?

BIL is almost 40 and has no comprehension of the fact that you don't always get what you want!
It's exhausting watching a grown ass man act so self entitled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• there is really nothing YOU can do but have healthy boundaries with him on your end. it is frustrating
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My sister has had 20 years to get this and still has not. It does not help my parents enable her. I do not giver her money, help,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• People like this do understand! They just don't care. They want what they want and when they want it. I to have a couple of in-laws like this.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• LOL

I let people like that just keep on rolling thinking that way . While I just sit back and watch in amusement. Eventually, most learn in a most unpleasant way the realities of life.

Those people do not frustrate me, anger me, or stress me out. They highly amuse me :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Good question. Let me know if you ever find out the answer. We have a relative like this and about 90% of the problem is her parents, specifically her mother, enable her. I think it's ridiculous to coddle your adult child and keep them dependent on you because you don't want the nest completely empty.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i know that feeling my DH friend is the same way, the friend aggravates me to no end. one time he was having a tisy over his RC car racing cause he had to quit racing cause his DD needed stuff. i just went off on him. he no longer comes over or speaks to my DH now, i feel a little bad about that but DH reassured me that i was right and that he(the friend) needed someone to tell him that
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• any more details of the situation? sounds like he would be the perfect match for someone I know!! :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thank you all for your responses!!! The truth of the matter is, that I understand that he will never get it. Mainly because his parents totally enable the behavior and always have. It is quite amusing the way MIL will fumble for excuses as to why he gets special treatment.

ItsMe89- BIL is married- his wife is really no better- she perpetuates the behavior- MIL says "It's because she loves him soooo much" *insert gag*
    REALMadamMuffin

Answer by REALMadamMuffin at 8:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010