Joint custody or full custody?

Is it more common now days for dads to get joint custody, instead of the mom getting full custody? If you are divorced, how long have you been divorced, and what is your custody status?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• The courts try to maintain joint custody. One parent will usually only get full custody if the other parent is found unfit. My DH and his ex have been divorced 8years and they have joint.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My ex and I have joint custody since 2004, but I have complete physical custody...which means they live with me, go to school from our house not his....and sometimes visit him on weekends.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My husband and I both have previous marriages and we both have joint custodies with our exspouses. It's honestly better if both parents can co-parent and have mostly equal rights unless one of the parents is unfit (meaning neglect, abuse, drugs...) There will be a custodial parent who usually has the final say on important issues but that's only after they can prove they have seriously tried to work things out. For example, I didn't want my kids in a public school, my exhusband (he's custodial parent) could have told me he didn't care and if he wasn't willing to compromise I could have taken him to court and we'd present the case to a judge who would then decide. Instead, though, he found a montessori school that is amazingly fabulous and is willing to drive a ways to get the boys there because he knows it's extremely important to me where my kids get their education from.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 3:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Joint
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It depends on ho often the father has been there previously. We weren't married and I have full custody because he was there less than 1% of the time prior to the court order (she was over a year old at that time).
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My ex and I have 50 50 custody of our daughter.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We've been divorced 2 1/2 yrs now, and have joint physical and legal. It has its ups and downs, and that type of custody arrangement only works when both parents are civil w each other.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 3:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The best is joint custody unless there is abuse involved. The point is both parent to maintain a relationship with the child. That is the best interest of the child regardless of whether or not the parents get along. We have joint but it won't go into affect until I move out and a job needs to come first before that!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• oh and yeah I forgot the physical custody. He will have that since he has the house and they are more stable here. They are also teen age boys!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have been divorced since 2007. I have sole physical and legal custody...dad has visitation (one week night for a few hours and EOW).
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 4:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010