Has anyone ever attended a Marriage Counciling Weekend Retreat

My husband and I are contemplanting divorce, but we really want to know that we've done everything we can to repair our relationship before we walk away (we have 4 children and we do love each other, we're just not "in love" and we fight/agrue all the time).
I'm wondering if anyone here has ever attended one of the 3 day seminars for couple therapy/marriage counciling? Most of the ones I've looked at are about $2000-$3000 for the weekend, but if they really work and can save my marriage (and most of all keep my family together) then it would be woth it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband and I are looking at similar retreats for us, and we aren't even having problems in our marriage. I think that keeping one step ahead of possible problems is a GREAT way to protect your marriage. I say go for it. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Have your tried traditional marriage counseling first?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't consider my husband and I to me in major trouble, but I would like to attend such a thing too. 2-3 grand for a weekend sounds pretty silly though.
    if anyone knows of one that really worked please let me know too!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That sounds pricey. Why not see a marriage counselor...Most insurance companies cover them...You could go once a week, or every other week. Counseling is a must...Before divorce. You want to know you've done everything you could to save the marriage before ending it.
    quinnbee21

Answer by quinnbee21 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My husband and I just started seeing a counselor...It is only $20 a visit with our insurance.
    quinnbee21

• The Christian churches (catholic, for sure) have a thing called Marriage Encounter. DO IT!!!! My ex husband and I did it - it was free (or very nominal cost as I recall) and I found it one of the most valuable weekends of my life. Yes...we ended up divorcing - but it wasn't hell on earth! The program helped us to see that we no longer had a need meeting energy system going. We married young and spent the next 15 years growing apart. We were no longer the same people, and children certainly changed the dynamic. Find one in your area, google it (you dont' have to be catholic or even christian to go). Best advice I ever took!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010