Anyone know of a cure for a bad habit?

This will probably sound weird, but ever since I was young, I pick my lips. To the point where they look like they have obviously been picked. I think its linked to stress or OCD. I managed to stop for a while until my son was born and we had a rough start. My son is almost 4years old and I'm still picking away. Recently, I won't stop until I have pretty much picked anything possible. It looks aweful. I hate that I do it and I hate trying to cover it up every day. Then, if I do cover it up, sometimes I will pick away at the lipstick and cover-up so it looks even worse. Short of tying my hands behind my back until they heal completely, I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Health

• I used to do that too. Try:

- putting Vaseline on your lips (they won't feel dry and like you need to pick at them)
    - wearing amazing, high-dollar lipstick (you don't wanna ruin it, do ya?)
    - cutting your nails short
    - dipping your fingertips in nail polish remover. that stuff tastes NASTY and takes forever to get the taste out of your mouth. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I used to pick the dry skin between my eyebrows. I started putting vaseline on the area and I didn't like the feel of it when I would then go to touch the area. It broke me of the habit. Don't know if that will help. Maybe try cutting your fingernails shorter too? Just a couple of ideas. GL
    Anonymous

• Adversion therapy. Google it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Put your mind to it! Set a goal. Put a rubber band on your hand & flick it! But don't hurt yourself.. Think of someone you love each time and think I have to do it for them*! Or pretend that someone is going to take your picture at any given time! And you don't want to be caught picking in that picture!! You can do it! You can stop! Best of luck to you!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree with previous poster.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010