Has anyone been diagnosed with a low thyroid?

The other day I went to the doctor just to get a check up and they did some blood work.

Today I get a call that I have low thyroid...? The doctor wants to see me soon.

Whatcan I expect? how is it treated? and for how long will I have to take

I don't want to worry but can't help it I guess bc I don't know what to expect.
Thank you ladies for your input.

Butterfly1108

Asked by Butterfly1108 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Health

• I'm not sure but best of luck!
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My bloodwork showed I am borderline. I will be retested in a few months. Dr. said medication might be necessary. I believe it would be taken for the rest of my life.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A few yrs. ago I had half my thyroid removed because of stones, It was found in a routine x-ray. It looked like lomps & when they did the surgery they found ths stones. I now have a low metabolism. I take a tiny pill once a day called synthroid & it is very cheap, They even have a generic. You will probably have to take one of these pills also. Mine is for life. Yours may be too. Don't worry about it too much. I'm sure it will all work out for the better. Good luck!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Hypothyroidism is hard to diagnose, so I'm glad your doctor was able to do so. There are a great many treatments out there, most of which will require some type of Rx Meds... I have not been diagnosed as of yet, however once I am no longer pregnant we will be starting more extensive testing. My Aunt on the other hand has been diagnosed with both Hyper- and Hypothyroidism... She was heavily medicated for years and the doctors didn't see her living past 16... However, she was lucky enough to find a product which really helped her and has allowed her to not only live a normal life, but she is now completely off medication!! I would suggest you take a few moments to read her story and check out the product, without doubt it's saved her life & I highly recommend it to anyone with Thyroid issues...  Here's Her Story!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• HaHa, sorry, I forgot to add what that product was. It's called Reliv. It's an all natural dietary supplement... Which allows her body to get the nutrition it needs to regulate her Thyroid naturally. Her doctors keep telling her that you can't regulate the thyroid naturally, but at the same time they can't figure out how her body just magically fixed itself either... Check it out & best of luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have hypothryoidism, which is high levels of TSH, and I take a daily pill that I will take for the rest of my life. When you first start medication they will need to find your right level. This involves taking a low dose for 30 days and then getting your blood drawn, meeting with your doctor to get results and a modified prescription. You do this every 30 days until they find the right response level. It took me 6 months for them to find the optimal dosage level. My doctor said that was on the quicker side for finding this. That was just a few months ago and after 6 months I go back for another blood panel review. The goal is to eventually get stabilized so they only need to adjust annually. It's quite a pain to say the least. If you are borderline most doctors won't start you on meds because of the commitment.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 4:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Depending on how your levels are and your symptoms, it's going to be learning to manage the symptoms and taking medicine every day. You will also get your blood tested a lot to make sure it's working. I was diagnosed with postpartum thyroiditis in 2006. My levels were very off. Luckily, in my case, it resolved because it was pregnancy thing. However, I felt like crap even while taking the medicine. The only thing Synthroid did for me was get the levels back to normal and I am convinced that it probably would have resolved on its own. I've been medication free since March 2009 and my labs are all normal.

But anyway..my story aside, it is all about managing it like you would any chronic disease.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010