Have you ever found mold on fresh fruit at the store?

I just went to the store yesterday to get a few groceries. While looking at the blackberry packages I could see frost on the inside of the package. But looking closer there was mold on a few of the berries. I found atleast three the same way. Three packages were taken to customer service to show them & notify them of the problem. Supposedly she was going to call someone in produce to check it out. I never heard anything over the speaker. I can only hope she did because when I told her, she looked at it but then put them on the desk beside her like it was no big deal.
I now know why my DH loves Safeway.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes I sure have...gross
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Ewww!
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 4:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i have. I always look everything over before buying! and I SMELL everything! LOL.
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 4:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Happens all the time. Penicillin is made from mold, you know!! So, it's probably not all that harmful albeit disgusting.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yes, the employees never seem as concerned do they lol. Wait until they bring home some fresh fruit because they aren't concerned with their produce and it ends up being moldy maybe then they'll be concerned lol
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Almost every time I go shopping. I don't know why they keep trying to sell the moldy strawberries.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Mostly with the strawberries. I bought a pack last week, didn't clean them that night and put them in the fridge and the ENTIRE container was moldy in the morning. GROSS
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've found it on just about every berry they sell. I always check the packages really well before I buy them, and then use them right away. I think the heat has something to do with it (transportation, etc.), because I usually don't see things like that in the winter.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• All the time
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We have one kroger that is absolutely horrible about things like that. I've even found moldy bread there on the shelf. Avocados you put a finger through if you try to pick them up,and they leave them out for a week. They have fruit flies everywhere, too. I only buy frozen or otherwise sealed stuff at that store - I drive to one across town, it's worth the extra little gas money to avoid the food poisoning.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010