How do I get my son to stop biting?

I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old. My 2 year old is a biter. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get him to stop. Shadowing has been working, and we have been bite free for a couple weeks, but the last couple of days, he has been biting every time I turn around. I don't know what to do.

Heidi82208

Asked by Heidi82208 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bash me if you like,but bite him back. Not hard,but enough to get his attention.I cured my son of biting with one nibble!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Ohhh its the two year old..................... sounds like he is frustrated... best thing is to sternly tell him no and sit him in a chair for a few minutes. I don't go for the biting back stuff..
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Animals bite...not people. We are more civilized than that.
    Cochise

• I agree with Butterflyblue19. Give him a taste of his own medicine just not as hard.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would never bite my own child.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You're lucky your kids are 1 and 2! My 7 year old just started biting and hard!!! He latches onto someones back like an animal and I still haven't been able to get him to stop. And I've evn tried biting him back...and even spanking...taking toys away. Not working.
    Good Luck!
    jax3

Answer by jax3 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks for your advice. I tried the biting back thing when he first started (against my better judgement - my husband was SURE that was the answer), and it only reinforced the bad behaviour, made it worse.
    Heidi82208

Comment by Heidi82208 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• "Bash me if you like,but bite him back. Not hard,but enough to get his attention.I cured my son of biting with one nibble! "

Yep, that's what I did with all 4 of my kids. So, you'll have to bash me, too! LOL. Nothing hard. Didn't even make a mark. Just a nip that got their attention. Just the action alone of me going through the motion was enough. They never did it again.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Jax...I can see a young child doing it out of frustration because the haven't developed the skills to cope yet but a seven year old should now how to by now... it sounds as if he is seeing violence and acting in the same way............don't take me wrong..........I say this out of concern.... so many times young moms or ones with no experience get frustrated themselves...and the easy way out is to act out themselves................... there needs to be communication not violence.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree with you 100% Heidi...it just reinforces bad behavior.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010