who here has/had a 2yr old and a new born?

I was just wondering how other 2yr olds have acted once they saw the new baby and stuff. my 2yr old daughter dosent really understand and the way she treats her baby dolls is horrifying and I keep thinking what if she does what she does to her babies to her baby bother. only 24 more days till he gets here.
so my question is...how did your 2yr old react to you having another baby in the house?

Amber_Sblood

Asked by Amber_Sblood at 4:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry, only had twins.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have had a 2 1/2 yr old and a newborn twice. They both did really well. A little jealous but never hurt the baby. But then you never leave them with access to the baby either. lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• LOL, my almost 3 year old was almost 2 when my baby was born. (a year ago today). She tortured her baby dolls, but does great with her baby sister. She still tortures her baby dolls, lol.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Not me...I am not that crazy! lol

My mom said i was really jealous when my brother was born. I was only 20 months old. I tried to sit on him!lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I can honestly say that my children were never jealous of the new babies, and they seem to just take their appearance right in stride. My children were a bit farther apart than 2 years, but we never had any problems with their adjusting to there being a new member of the family. My daughter's little boy just turned 2 and she is due in 4 weeks with #2. We have just told him from the beginning that he is going to be the big brother. He's moving to the big boy room, sleeping in the big boy bed, and so far, he's all about having a brother. We don't expect there to be any problems. It may be that little children take their cues from the expectations that Mom and Dad have about the new arrival's influence in the family. If you don't stress, maybe she will follow suit.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son was born exactly 4days after my daughter's 2nd birthday. I admit i was worried too. But she was SOOO excited about having a new baby brother and she fell in love with him right from the start. i think it helped that the first couple days while i was in the hospital and first day home with ds that she was at Grandma's house with her older sister. They did meet their baby brother before they left so when they came home it was like he had always been there, kwim? it didnt' take long for her to adjust at all. You do have to make special time for the older ones though cause at 2yo they don't understand that mommy has her hands full with a newborn and just want that attention like before.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'll let you know how she handles when her little sister arrives in October 19th. But my daughter won't be 2 until November 21st, good luck. You should try showing her how you treat a "baby" with her dolls like wrap them up and stuff, that's what I do with my daughter.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son was almost 2 when my daughter was born, he really wanted to help with everything!! He was right there when i changed her diapers and would tell me eww poopy lol and he was always sitting right next to me when i fed her and would even try to help me and would tell me mommy burp baby lol. It was great. Now she is one and he is almost 3 and its not the same story he doesnt want her to touch any of his toyr or even look at them haha but it was great when she was little
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My girls were 1 3/4 yrs apart. The oldest was all about helping with the baby. But, then, she has ALWAYS been older than her years. She was not in the normal realm of most toddlers. Just work with her with her baby dolls. Try to get her to treat them gently. That's the best I can think of right now. Good luck!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son was 22 months old when my daughter was born, and honestly...it wasn't that bad. He just wanted to hold her and hug her and love on her. :) It helped that we kept bedtime just me and him time, so he had something reliable in his schedule when he could still count on having mommy all to himself. We had some adjusting to do at the very beginning, with feeding the baby and the like, but once we got into a routine, it was a piece of cake. We've only had problems since my daughter became mobile and started grabbing her brother's toys; he liked her better when she just laid there and he could go love on her when he wanted to and forget about her the rest of the time, lol. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010