"Baby Phonics" && "My baby can read"

Have any of you guys tried either of these? PLEASE if you have used these give me your opinion on them and how they worked or didn't work with your child.

vampiremommy1

Asked by vampiremommy1 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've not tried it but a lot of other moms have asked about it. This may help, it's some of the other questions and the answers they got.
    Good luck!

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/search.php?keyword=baby+can+read&submit=Search
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've done a lot of research and I personally have Your Baby Can Read. It's trash. Other than maybe gaining her attention for the video, it does nothing. I've talked to her pediatrician, he says it's not effective and will not work.

So... I wouldn't put too much hope or faith into those programs. And I sure as heck wouldn't pay retail for them.

GL
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 5:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I asked about my baby can read yesterday, I was curious too... The best answer I got was a mom who said that she does own my baby can read, however she doesn't believe in forcing child to be overdeveloped but she said she put on the DVD's when she would shower and such just to reinforce words baby already new, and to teach new words. Basically no DVD is going to make baby a genius but nice to have for more educational form of entertainment on then some useless cartoon.
    Topgunmommy

Answer by Topgunmommy at 5:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't have any information about either but can i just say that i HATE seeing those "your baby can read" commercials all the time! Mostly because they have my 7yo convinced that we need to buy em for my 3yo and 1yo @@ the best way to give your baby a headstart at reading is to read TO them from the start :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would never use my baby can read... if it was that good every preschool around would have it! I just dont think its needed at all..
    If you want your child learning something off a DVD while you need to take a shower look into leap frog DVDs.. My DD learned her letters & their sounds very quickly by watching "Letter Factory".. You can get the whole set (3 Dvds & flash cards for $20) for pretty cheap & your kid will be good to go for a few years.. Its more of a cartoon. No program or anything...
    I dont think a child will learn to read unless they really want to... And if they do, they will show the signs of wanting to read, just do what you can as a parent to teach while life is happening. And always keep within your childs interest & they will go far.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• my baby can read is more damaging to your little one than good. it teaches word memorization but not phonics. so later when your child goes to school, they will have an easy time with the words they know. howver your child NEEDS to know thow to sound out words and learn what they mean by the context around them. my baby can read cripples your childs ability to do this. the teacher would be fourced to retrain your childs brain in order for your child to learn to read correctly.and lets face it in todays schools teachers dont have the time or the means to do that. your child will learn some word memorization from reading the same story books however that is not the goal when you read to them. if you do the research and read the reviews from ( doctors who study how to teach reading ect) cant remember the name, they will all same thing. my baby can sighn, ive heard nothing bad and as far as i know teaches basic sighns.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 10:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I also have your baby can read. I used to put it in while LO was playing in living room.He is now 2 and lets just say its been in the closet for about 2 years LOL. Theres no way to get a child that young to sit still and watch.
    C08L10

Answer by C08L10 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is really great for special needs kids or kids who are just behind. My 5 yr. old DS is Autistic, among other things, and this program is really helping with his speech issues. It also helps him recognize words and learn to imitate people, which is hard for him sometimes.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Why does your baby need to read?

My daughter learned to read at four, without electronics or videos.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2010