How can I tell my daughter that sex is ok and where babies come from.

My daughter has a bedroom down the hall from me and my husband Tyler.
The bathroom is right next to my room and when she gets up to go pee in the night she thinks that Tyler is hurting me. And I don't know how to explain where babies come from and what sex is... any help?

polkadotia6596

Asked by polkadotia6596 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Perhaps, you should tone it down so she can't hear you.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I only suggested that because according to your profile she's 5 and 5 in my opinion is a little young for the complete sex talk.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yeah, keep it down. That's all you can do.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• this was on The Doctors- tv show on abc- the other day also! they said to talk to them down to their level, and make it fun for them, so it's not so awkward to talk to them. answer their questions as to what women have and what men have, and how it all works. you can draw to make visuals. this is what they said on the show, and they said that you need to start talking to your kids earlier these days, like around the age of 8. i was surprised to hear that, and the way they said to talk to them! they even had the OBGYN up there go talk to a bunch of girls (they taped it and showed it) and you wouldn't believe all the questions they asked! stuff that an 8 year old should not know! like what is an orgasm, where does the guys "p" go, ect...can you believe 8 year olds asked these questions??
    Anonymous

• Tell her you were wrestling and he was not hurting you. At a seperate time you can tell her about where babies come from. You do it a little at a time and it's child led. Mom how did the baby get in your tummy? Well honey a little piece of me and a little piece of daddy came together and
    God helped it grow into a baby. Later on. Mom how did the piece of daddy get inside you? He put it there with his penis, it's called sex and that's how a lady gets the baby inside her. Boom simple simple.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son has asked about babies and stuff, not sex but I told him that when people love eachother and are married(hes 5) that if they want a baby the daddy puts the baby in the mommys tummy and when it is time the doctors take the baby out, give very lil info but enough to satisfy their ?, and when they are older you can discuss it again with more descriptivet info.
    Anonymous

• I would keep it down a lttle, but If she is quriose then explain in a way she can under stand, or just be honest to her ya know like when two people are married and are in love..... I will leave that up to you! but maybe you can try that or I do know if the child is quriose about it, be honest the child will sence your honesty and I believe to have a respect for you and eventuall her love life.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Maybe just say you were having a tickling match! I think she is too young to have sex explained in all it's detail. I agree with the moms who suggest 1) be quieter, and 2) wait until she asks about where babies come from. Since you are most likely not pregnant right now, it would only confuse her anyway to try to tie your "activity" to making babies.
    My 8 year-old just recently came around to wondering how the baby gets in there in the first place. When I explained about egg cells, she wanted to know what makes them start to grow. Then she had to know how the sperm gets in there, and when I told her, she laughed her head off. It was the funniest thing she had ever heard. But I would not have shared so much info if she had been satisfied with the simpler answers. I believe a child will ask a question when they are ready for the answer.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 4:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• That is pretty young....should try keeping it down a bit....maybe as other suggested just tell her you were playing around no one was hurting anyone.
    Deb128

Answer by Deb128 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2008