What went wrong with my carrots?

I planted carrots in June. I have big leafy plants above the soil. I tried to did up one to see how big it was getting and found nothing. So I tried another..and another. I had to stop myself from digging them all up. I haven't found a carrot yet.

mommie_2boys

Asked by mommie_2boys at 5:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• IDK - I planted a whole garden (10x15 area) and all I have now is 6 tomato plants and 1 cucumber vine. I would have corn, but some DA mowed them down. I didnt get any broccoli, carrots, lettuce or the other things I planted.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• did you find a small white root? because, that's the carrot. Leave them alone. If you planted in june, they won't be ready for 70 days after you planted. (at least depending on the variety).
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Was this your first garden? It sounds like your soil may not be up to par...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It sounds like they are too close together. Once they germinate they need to be thinned to about 8cm apart.
    They may not be ready. Some varieties are ready in approx 70 days, some take closer to 90. Check them once a week and see how they are doing. The top is really not a good indicator of readiness.
    Also, most varieties prefer light, sandy soil, and prefer to have their roots cool and the tops warm. It's recommended to grow other leafy veggies (swiss chard is the facorite) on either side of a row of carrots to shade them. Otherwise they need to be bedded in something.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 6:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We have never had much luck growing carrots. I think they are pretty persnickety about the kind of soil they like.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Carrots need thinning to about 3 fingers' width between each plant, AND they do take up to 3 months to grow. You can leave them in the ground longer if need be. They do prefer cool weather, so mulching them is a good idea to help keep soil temp down and moisture in the soil.

Carrots can be grown in almost any soil except heavy clay. I've grown them for years.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Give them time. Ours had massive tops too, we'd pick them by accident while weeding (don't ask) but they're finally getting an actual carrot on them. Carrots are something you can leave in the ground for a long long time too - we frequently don't dig ours til after first frost, sometimes not til after first snow - they're huge, and the longer we leave them the sweeter they are. Have patience! (says the woman who checks the cauliflower almost daily wondering if we're ever going to have cauli - first time trying to grow it so I'm impatient with it!).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2010