OPKs

When using OPKs if you see a light pink line does that mean that ovulation is near and they will get darker over the next few days? Someone told me that everyone usually always gets a light pink line everytime they use one but last month i tried using them and did'nt get and kind of line, not even the faintest. Can someone please help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Your LH (the hormone detected by OPKs) goes up and down throughout your cycle. If you tested every day of your cycle, you'd notice a wave-like pattern going from lighter to darker to lighter, potentially several times. Generally, though, it only gives you a positive once (maybe two days in a row, but not at separate times in your cycle, unless your body prepared to ovulate and then didn't for whatever reason, then actually did ovulate later). When I tried using OPKs at one point, the test line was getting progressively darker when I ran out of tests, so I figured I would ovulate in the next several days; turned out, it was a good thing I was charting, too, because I didn't ovulate for almost two weeks.

So short answer -- no, a visible test line, or even a progressively darker one, does not necessarily mean that ovulation is approaching. It can, but it's not a sure thing.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010