Is there any lice preventative? /safe treatment

We were notified that our DD's daycare/preschool has had a case of lice. Since they no longer send children home for lice I am freaking out!!!! Is there any chance at preventing my DD's from getting it(any safe hair products)? Also if they happen to what should I do- I do NOT want to use RidX (my parents used this on me when I was young and made me turn pale and vomit)- I am NOT putting pesticides on my girls' heads.... Any help mommas? Thanks!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 6:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Look for "Fairy Tales" shampoo and spray on conditioner. Worked great. Anything with rosemary essential oil, live hate it. My DD smelled like a pork roast but she didn't get reinfected when they went around at school. And if she'll tolerate it, blow dry her hair, the heat kills nits/eggs/discourages growth.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Put Hair Spray in Her hair when you send her to school. They love wormth and the hair spray prevents that. When ever there is a breackout at my daughters head start thats what I do and she hasn't got it yet
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• there are special shampoos, conditioner, gel and hairsprays which are kid safe usually sold at childrens hair cutting places that have natural ingrediants that are supposed to make the childs hair less appealing to the lice.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 6:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• don't wash her hair so frequently. lice like clean hair to latch their eggs onto.
    And if she gets lice you can just put a little olive oil in her hair to treat it. Yes, it will make her hair greasy for a while. But the lice won't wanna use her head any more.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Google organic ways to get rid of it. Usually its an oil . I acually think mineral oil does the tick just put a little on ur hand and rub their scalp!

My dad use to wash our hair with gas to get rid of lice lol.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 6:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/463458/Need_help_for_lice

Answer by older at 6:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• they don't send kids home with lice anymore?? seriously?? (they do in our public schools.) that's..troubling.
    also, in the daycares/preKs..they will recheck, and if anything is still there, they must be treated again.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• ya our public schools do not send them home anymore.... I think it was a new law passed.?.?.? they said it was because "some" kids get reinfested soooo ofter that they missed too much school and it was unfair to their education so they dont send them home anymore. I wish they would though... I do think it is the parents responsibility to rid the lice. JMHO
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• tea tree shampoo and blow dry her hair after she bathes.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• mayo wraps! rub it into the scalp well and then wrap head in ceran wrap. leave on for 2-3 hours. wash out with dawn dish soap and comb with a lice comb with a solution of 1/3 each, water, vinegar and white rain conditioner. then re-wash with normal shampoo. we do this weekly to help kill anything i may have missed and it is also our fun time or spa time., kids think it is a hoot to comb mommies hair and wwe do other stuff like whip cream facials and clear polish on nails to help make it a fun time and not anxiety ridden
    ms_mommy_sue

Answer by ms_mommy_sue at 2:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2010