:(

I know yelling is not good parenting but I seem to do it a lot!! I do it without even realizing it sometimes! Please tell me I am not the only one? I have a 19 month old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mommy just needs time for herself.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Hun, yelling is one of the few releases moms have, just try to keep it at a minimum. You are not the only one!!!!!

Answer by older at 6:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yelling doesn't mean bad parenting. Everyone yells at some point and those who say they don't are lying.
    You just need to find other ways to get your child to understand right and wrong. Whether it's giving them time outs, taking away toys or privliages, etc. Praising them for what they've done right is a good way to help them understand the difference as well. When you're always telling them "No" it can be very discouraging. Try distracting your taught with a warning first. "John, Please don't climb up there again. Instead why don't you play with your blocks. If you climb up there again you'll get a time out." Now when he does it again give him a time out. No yelling needed, no more then an explination as to why he's in time out. One minute for every year he is (2 minutes for two years old). Put him back silently everytime he gets up. Restarting the time everytime he gets up. Then when time out is done praise him for stayin
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yelling every once in a while is pretty normal, but if it becomes often, it can be negative. Try walking away for a few minutes and taking a few deep breaths.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• (Contin) Also remember that you need time to walk away and reasess the situation. Calm down and then come back with a clear head. Then handle the situation. Even if it means tossing him in his room for a few minutes while you collect yourself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• jJust try to count to 10 before you feel the urge to yell. I yell at my daughter after shes been told NO and still cont..
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 6:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You are definitely not alone! My mom yelled a lot when I was a kid, so I really cannot stand it when anyone raises their voice in anger or frustration. I really try not to yell or raise my voice, but every once in awhile I just hit that breaking point. I had a breaking point moment this morning. Don't beat yourself up over it. As long as you're not doing it everyday, I wouldn't worry about it.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 6:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i yell all the time...its just my nature...im bad cop bf is good cop...for now anyway...but i spend all day with my ds so that might do it...maybe we need a break!!!!!
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I yelled more than I should have. had to train myself not to do it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Nope. Normal. I'm trying to stop, but gawd these kids are DANCING on my last nerve!!!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010