Does your baby hate tummy time??

My son HATES tummy time. His neck is pretty strong, we don't even have to help him support it anymore, but I want his arms and stuff to get strong, but everytime he has his tummy time he just fusses about it and eventually starts to out right cry. Any suggestions?

b130

Asked by b130 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son hated tummy time! As soon as we'd put him on his tummy he'd scream bloody murder. Try laying some toys out in front of him or if he really doesn't want to do it just let him do it on his own time. Sooner or later he'll learn to roll over himself.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 5:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• yeah my son didnt like it eaither but i did what bassyentihw said i would put his toys out in front of him and then he would be ok.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i'll put my son down hes fine for the first minute then freaks out to. i just lay down beside him and talk to him, this dosent really work so i just pick him up and lay him on his back. other times i lay him on my chest and he's fine try that let him lay on ur chest/stomach and see if hes fine. or i just figure my son will roll over when he wants to.
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Take a moment and go forward 3 years. It's dinner time. He is pitching a fit - down on the floor, kicking and screaming - because he doesn't want to eat baked chicken, peas, and rice. He wants cookies. What will you do?

He may be only 3 months old now. But he does not like tummy time and he is letting you know it. You can let him lie on his back all day, gaining no muscle strength but not crying. He will learn to sit, crawl, and walk eventually. Well, he will probably skip crawling. Or, you can tell your heart that you know the exercise is good for him. Get down on the floor with him, make faces or dangle a toy for him to bat at. Time how long it takes until he is crying. Give him several tummy time sessions each day that are that long. Slowly make them longer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My Son hates being on his belly, for the most part. Hes got a strong neck as well. The only time he enjoys being on his belly is if his belly is upset or he's got gas, then it just calms him down or it'll just put him to sleep, then you have to roll him over anyway. But he has a fit when we try and do "tummy time"
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Tummy time isn't necessary, actually. :) My son went from sitting to crawling instead of from pushing up to crawling. He just couldn't tolerate tummy time and I wasn't going to push him on it.

You can try propping him belly-down on a play mat or on a boppy-style thing, or lay on your back and have him do push-up-peekaboo if you want. My son would like those. But straight out tummy time? Never got into that.

It can delay crawling a bit. My DS crawled at 10-11 months, and walked at 12 months. I didn't see any problem with that, though!
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 6:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Gruntlings is right - delayed mobility can be a blessing!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008