Something is eating the leaves on my rhubarb and I don't know what it is? What can I sprinkle or spray on the leaves that is organic/environmentally friendly?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use dishsoap deluted with water and I spray the greenery. As for slugs ya they die in beer works wanders...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You can also call or go to your local garden center/nersery and show em a clipping of the plant being eaten, they can tell you exactly what it is and reccommend what to use.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sounds like slugs, time to rock salt the garden. If you take a pie tin and fill it with beer, the slugs will be drawn to it and drowned.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• you can make a spray out of just a few ingredients..
    combine a cup of chopped fresh mint leaves, a head of garlic (it needn’t be peeled), and six eggs in a blender. Spray affected plants until the product is dripping from the leaves. The garlic and mint act as a taste deterrent, and the animal proteins are repellent to herbivores like rabbits.

i've heard sprinkling cayenne pepper all around plantings helps, too. also, some people use human hair as a natural deterrent. (you can get it for free from your local barber..just take a box/bag in and ask them to save their sweepings.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• For slugs, take a lid, like from a mayonaise jar, and press it into the soil. Fill with beer. The slugs will die very happily.

If it is something else, sprinkle daily with cayenne pepper

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Vinegar!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2010