What if a white republican said this?

Obama called blacks mongrels..

I can't copy and paste but he said it when he was on that fat lib show..The View

The article is one at thehill.com

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 6:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont care HOW it was in context Young...if ANY white person had said their their @ss would be grass and you are being disingenuous to say otherwise JUST because you love this man.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Everything taking out of context only warps the meaning to suit individual and personal agenda. Yours is evident. How in the hell am I disingenuous to post the entire quote?

It is disingenuous to post ONE EFFING WORD and bash.

I have a word for you...but it would be genuinely disingenuous of me to us it--my dogs would be insulted.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• do you mean..what if a white pub called Obama a mongrel or if they called blacks mongrels? Because that is 2 entirely different questions. I have always referred to Obama as that MuttBastard I'm glad he and I have something in common now. Anywho...the statement really needs to be heard with the emotion that was given at the time and the context in which the statement was made. Aren't we all mongrels? Mutts? Aren't the mutts the more hybridized of the genus? He wasn't saying anything bad about himself or blacks...and he has always gone back and forth with what he describes himself to be. Frankly, I still think the nightmares of his father c ause him to have perpetual identitiy issues....Whole 'nother story...
    If a white pub said that about him....he would be asked to step down from whatever position he currently held. There is a double standard in this country..always will be. JMHO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The fact that you won't "bother to post the entire statement" demonstrates your clear bias in this regard.

Here--I will help you out.

[When asked about his background, which includes a black father and white mother, Obama said of African-Americans:] "We are sort of a mongrel people."

"I mean we're all kinds of mixed up," Obama said. "That's actually true of white people as well, but we just know more about it."

[The president's remarks were directed at the roots of all Americans. The definition of mongrel as an adjective is defined as "of mixed breed, nature, or origin," according to dictionary.com. ]

I know it can be confusing to have a president who has a grasp of the English language and isn't busy dividifiacatin'.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thats cute...real cute. In NO instance for ANY reason and ANY example no matter HOW it's phrased should ANY HUMAN BEING be referred to as a mongrel.

Go take a midol honey and calm down :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• They used to call people of mixed races Mutts, I actually prefer Mongrel, apparently so does Obama.
    I am Italian, German and Scottish with a splash of Cherokee Indian and proud of it !!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think that context is important...you have no meaning at all without context. I am getting tired of the way people take a few words, or even one word, and then demand that people defend it. It's been happening more and more lately...it's like the new thing to take a word or two and then use it as an argument to support your point. I am at a loss really. It shows the level of critical thinking our country has decided is legitimate. I for one am not hopping on the bandwagon.

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Actually, a white person, speaking of themselves, as Obama was speaking of himself and his people, would not get flack for it. The question was "What if a white republican said this?" So one should assume the OP is asking what would happen if we just switch the people out; meaning the white man would be calling himself a "mongrel of sorts." You haters think us libs are stupid, but I've got your number sister. I know it drives you all mad that our president is actually an educated, well spoken man, but this has got to stop. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. Obama was talking about himself and his people in a historically factual manner, nothing more.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Kind of reminds me of his Letterman appearance, when he remarked that his bowling abilities qualified him to be on the Special Olympics bowling team.

Open big mouth, insert foot, chew thoroughly. I suppose he was just reading off the teleprompter, and therefore wasn't responsible for what someone else wrote for him...or, he's just a tool for Soros!! (I'll take the latter)! LOL :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• But, I think the point of the question was is there a double standard in what can and can't be said. I think there have been too many instances (without naming them and opening up that Pandora's Box) that prove there is a double standard. PBO can make that comment and not problem. Which is fine. No worries. But, if others had made the observation he made, we would hear an actual explosion. It is the new past time I think.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010