How do I plan a life for my special needs daughter should something happen to me

Hello my daughter Brittany who is 17 was born with trismony 21 dowen's sydrome this is the midler kind okay I have been making decesions all my life concerning her along with the help of those at school certain programs ell right now I am saying she will graduate next year from school her dad is distant now how and what should I be doing now to plan for the question I asked above.

My foster parents have passed away I have a half sister who has 4 kids youngest 19 she has a 16 month old son now I know and feel my sister will take care of her but she works 2 jobs one until 1A.M. the next morning We both love her to death but I am saying how could she take care of Brittany this is worrying me and making me scared God forbid something happens to her I can no longer work due to her handicap I am going to be homeless I feel I did work and mom looked after her somebody please help me I am scared

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Contact a lawyer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There is a program here where I live, maybe your city has something similar
    It is for people who have mental disabilities/disorders
    It is called BI or Becoming Independent.

They do an accessment of your childs abilities and determine one of a few things (all participants work doing a simple job from 9-3)
    1. group home with other people similar
    2. Living alone Assisted daily
    3.Living Alone with little to no assistance

They start at 18years
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You have time to come up with a reasonable solution to this problem. However,I think Butterflyblue19 has the right idea by suggesting a lawyer.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Here's a really good website, that I think will help you out!!

http://www.care.com/special-needs-when-a-child-turns-22-p1167-q227938.html

(It should open to the section that you are most concerned with right now, but there's lots of other information you will find helpful!)

hugging

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just wanted to send you hugs ! I will be dealing with same thing X 3 !!! I have started planning and I'm working with a worker right now and making applications for assistance...my life insurance is going to whoever we decide is best to take the children if something were to happen to me....and because of my son's agression, he will have to go with someone who is highly experienced, most likely a home specifically for special needs....I'm scared too....my daughters, however, will be much easier to plan for, but it breaks my heart, all the same ! .... but I'm in Canada, so nothing I'm going to find out is going to help you, unfortunately....but I just wanted to say you are not alone ! I do know, here they have day programs, like a daycare for adults with special needs....I bet you would have something similar there too....it may help you short term.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• http://www.lambsfarm.org/ is an amazing place

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• life insurance...lots & lots of life insurance! And check with you local resources....there are something like halfway houses or residential housing where they are people who help them live independently.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010