potty training. My son let me know after he has done it in the diaper, how do I get him to tell before?

dcho

Asked by dcho at 7:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take off the diaper. I'm not kidding. Just let him go naked for a day or two, putting him on the potty every fifteen minutes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• get rid of the diaper and go to underwear full time. i did that with my son who is 20 months, and he was trained pretty quickly. He still has his occasional accident, but usually only when he doesn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom. but we are working on that.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• How old is he? He may not be ready to tell you before but he feels uncomfortable after. My DD is 15 months and once she poops or during pooping she will say "poop". But she certainly doesn't have the capability at this age to know when she is about to and voice it before it happens.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I just quit buying diapers. My son had a few accidents the first 2 days. After that, I let him pick out a stool at a second hand shop so he could get up onto his potty seat and he was fine. We use pull ups at night- but he usually doesn't go in them. I thought potty training was going to be a horrible, drawn out experience. I just gave him a prize after he went (some fruit snacks (like 2 or 3 pieces) some toy cars (some from a second hand store, some from a pile he forgot about) and some books) for the first few days. He was fully trained within a week. It was awesome and a lot easier than I thought it could be. Good Luck!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010