has anyone gone on a gluten free diet?

i've been reading about gluten free diets and i'm finding i have a few of the signs that i don't handle gluten really well. i was wondering who has gone or is on a gluten free diet. how did it work for you? was it as hard as it seems to be? did it help any of your symptoms?

sweetpeatexas21

Asked by sweetpeatexas21 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Health

• We all went on a GF diet here for many years because our son had to (now we have a mixed diet). I would suggest cutting down on gluten gradually first, b/c you may be able to find a level of consumption that is tolerable to your system. Avoiding gluten isn't too hard if you make all of your own food b/c you can control what goes into your meals. However, if you don't like to cook, you'll need to become a super sleuth to weed out all of the products that have hidden gluten in them and you'll need to be very careful in restaurants. There are many GF products on the market to substitute with, but they tend to be very expensive & some of them don't taste very good, so you'll need to experiment to find what you like. I suggest that you join some online Celiac/GF groups for recipes & ideas. There's a magazine, Living Without (http://www.livingwithout.com/), that you may find helpful, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A lot more people than realize it are intolerant to gluten. I've done it several times with really good results.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My grandfather was diagnosed by a DOCTOR. He has celiac disease. For food, he's pretty much restricted to veggies, meat, and rice and potatoes for grain. He can NOT eat french fries @ a restaurant or even mash potatoes, because the mash potatoes are bocked potatoes made w/flour and the french fries are dipped in a flour batter. Almost every restaurant coats their fries in flour, (especially your fast food and bigger restaurant chains). He can buy special bread (or bread mixes) that are made with rice flour. He'll tell you it doesn't last every long, there really isn't a shelf life. The same is said with the noodles made with rice, etc. It's good the first night, but is HORRIBLE for leftovers. It all turns to mush! This also mean no candies, no breads, cakes, cookies, pies, cereals, etc. Unless it's gluten free. The cost is really HIGH on gluten free stuff! I would talk to your doctor, before doing anything!!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Changing our diet was very helpful with GI issues, fatigue, general body aches and "spaciness". My son's ADHD like symptoms reduced, and we all felt better in general. The biggest hurdle was bread, of course, so we just cut down on eating it. We eventually found that we could still eat gluten, but just less of it. HTH.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• op here. i have a drs appointment this coming week so i'm going to mention it. i just like going to the appointment informed first. i have gi issues and fatigue which they cant figure out why. i do 95% of my own cooking. i was thinking about slowly doing as much as i can while we are stationed overseas and seeing if it helps. for those of yall who have done this, have you had really bad results from occasionally eating gluten ie thanksgiving, birthday party etc
    sweetpeatexas21

Comment by sweetpeatexas21 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i tried it for a while, it was hard, and it didn't seem to help my problems. I have a nephew who had to go gluten/dairy/sugar free and is doing wonderfully on it.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes I've gone gluten free and yes it was a big PITA, especially since I was also vegetarian. I figured out that my problem was not gluten but flour in general (especially white flour). If I use sprouted grain flours I can eat bread, pizza, etc. My husband is still wheat free and potato free though so we still don't eat much bread.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It becomes easier once it becomes routine. Keep in mind that it could take up to 6 months for gluten to be completely removed from the body, and this is assuming you're not consuming any during that time. You might benefit from simply cutting down - depends on the severety and cause of your symptoms. BTW, keep in mind that unless you've tested positive for full blown celiac disease, most mainstream doctors might discourage you from doing gluten-free only because they are not trained in this area ... most still believe in following the food pyramid which, despite what most people think, was actually developed to aid the farmers of this country and it has little-to-nothing to do with eating in a healthy manner. A gluten-sensitive individual certainly couldn't follow it without wreacking havoc on their systems.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2010